Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Multicast not working with Ghost32 2269 and WinPE 3.0

Posted Jul 21, 2011 09:29 PM

I'm using Ghost32 to multicast an image of winxp to four different clients. When I click start, the server says "ghostcast in progress" but the clients connect all say "waiting for ghostcast session to start". Both the clients and the server will stay in this state forever. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. I'm using the latest NIC drivers on both server and clients. Below is my setup as well as attachments for my ghostcast.log and a wireshark capture during the process. Rename the wireshark .txt to .pcap.

I've been able to multicast using the exact same setup with a WinPE 2.0 based image but it has issues with occasionally not booting. Because I've been able to multicast with that image, I know that my switch is setup correctly and works with multicast. Multicast also works fine when imaging a non-boot drive on each of the clients when they are booted to XP.

Client Pre-OS: WinPE 3.0 - Windows 7 Based

Client Binary: Ghost32 build 2269

Client NIC: Intel 82574L Gigabit LAN

Server OS: Windows XP

Server IP: 10.0.0.100

Server NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx

DHCP Server: Dual DHCP DNS

DHCP IP Range: 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

TFTP Server: Solar Winds TFTP Server

Attachment(s)

txt
    GhostLog.txt   9 KB 1 version
    txt
    multicast_ghost_4client.txt   131 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Multicast not working with Ghost32 2269 and WinPE 3.0

Posted Jul 22, 2011 12:41 AM

Because I've been able to multicast with that image, I know that my switch is setup correctly and works with multicast

Clearly, it's not. As I've posted dozens and dozens and dozens of times, if you have IGMP snooping enabled in your switches then you need an IGMP querier present to use IPv4 multicast, just like it says you need in the IPv4 standards and just like it says in every switch vendor's configuration guide.

Take the packet capture you provided: open it in wireshark, click the "Protocol" column to group the frames by protocol, scroll down to the IGMP frames.

See those IGMP frames? See how they are all IGMPv3 membership reports, with not one single IGMP query frame? You don't have an IGMP querier configured here, because there aren't any queries - which means that if your switches are set to use IGMP snooping they will quickly time out and discard any IGMP membership report that a machine sends, which means that multicast traffic won't be switched to the ports where the clients are subscribing to it.

Check your switch configuration, ensure that if IGMP snooping is enabled then an IGMP querier is present, and take the handful of seconds it takes to verify that you really do have one by looking for an IGMP query being sent out in Wireshark.

• 3.  RE: Multicast not working with Ghost32 2269 and WinPE 3.0

Posted Jul 22, 2011 02:40 PM

Hi Nigel, thanks for the info. I setup our clients on a network in a different lab that is currently setup for multicast ghosting and it worked fine so you were correct in that it is a network issue. The problem now is that we're using windows XP as opposed to a server os like Server 2003/2008. Do you know of the best way to enable IGMP Snooping on XP? We're not using any specific router, just running an open source DHCP server on XP. As for our switches, do they have to be managed and configured? Is an 8 port DLink desktop switch not going to work? Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Multicast not working with Ghost32 2269 and WinPE 3.0

Posted Jul 22, 2011 08:31 PM

So help me understand IGMP a bit better. Why is it that i can do a simple multicast test between one client and host, sending from winpe 3.0 to winxp and it works fine. But when I send from win xp to winpe 3.0, it doesn't. 

Looking at wire shark traffic, it looks no different when i'm multicasting from xp->winpe from when i'm multicasting from winpe->xp. winpe->xp works and xp->winpe doesn't.

Is there a practical software solution to this issue, or is my only option getting a new switch that supports IGMP Snooping and has an IGMP Querier? If my only option is a new switch, I don't understand why it works one direction but not the other.

I'm planning on getting a Cisco SG300-10 as a new switch. Supports IGMPv3/2/1.

• 5.  RE: Multicast not working with Ghost32 2269 and WinPE 3.0

Posted Jul 23, 2011 12:35 AM

I hadn't registered that you are using WinPE 3.0 - we get SO MANY of these "multicast doesn't work" threads here by people who don't have IGMP configured that it's always the first thing to address. In this situation it may not be the root cause, although obviously you NEED to know about IGMP and how to configure it to understand why it matters for IPv4 multicast.

There is also one other possibility if you're using your own hand-rolled Windows PE, which is that you haven't taken the normal steps to build it. Windows PE includes the same (rather buggy) firewall as present in the desktop editions of Windows, and it's enabled by default so you obviously need to turn it off; that's done through an "unattend.xml" file and if you look in the Windows PE 2.0 supplied with Ghost Solution Suite you can see that the initial STARTNET.CMD script included runs WPEINIT with reference to an unattend.xml file that explicitly disables the firewall as its main job.

Why is it that i can do a simple multicast test between one client and host, sending from winpe 3.0 to winxp and it works fine.

Those tests aren't necessarily doing multicast, or aren't necessarily doing it in ways that are meaningful as a test. GhostCast normally only uses multicast when more than one machine is involved, and so only the GhostCast server end will send multicast frames (the underlying protocol is almost completely unidirectional). In other cases, although you're using the same tools it will use unicast UDP frames to send the traffic.

And furthermore, even when networks are misconfigured, then multicast will usually work for a brief period of time - only a couple of minutes, but this is long enough that most people will run a simple test on a small image and from that incorrectly assume their networks are configured fine. They will then inevitably start seeing failures when doing larger transfers or involving more machines, and then assume that there is some fault in Ghost even though this is a classic, well-known and very common network configuration mistake that has nothing to do with Ghost.

The same issue bedevils firewalls; the built-in Windows firewall blocks incoming traffic from hosts, *except* when the client machine has recently contacted a machine first, in which case the firewall assumes the reply traffic was solicited and permits it. However, the Windows firewall is completely oblivious to multicast traffic flows. Hence, simple tests which involve unicast traffic will tend to cause the Windows firewall to implicitly permit the traffic flow, whereas using multicast if the primary flow is incoming, it will decide the incoming traffic is unsolicited and will discard it. As a result (even when specifically asked directly about it) customers will assume that they don't have a firewall present because a test in which traffic flowed outward was not blocked.

The long and the short of it is that it is never correct to assume something is configured properly without either concrete evidence, or very deliberate and very tightly controlled test scenarios which ensure that the test is measuring precisely the right aspects of the underlying configuration.

For example, one of the few ways to separate network configuration errors from host configuration errors in a Windows PE endpoint is to wrap the Windows PE endpoint inside a virtual machine with a bridged network connection, so it's possible to run Wireshark on the host physical machine and capture the incoming traffic to it. By correlating the captures at the server and client endpoints (using a technique like the above) can it definitively be proved that switch configuration is not an issue.

Is an 8 port DLink desktop switch not going to work?

Those kind of consumer-grade switches do work, but then you aren't using multicast, because consumer-grade switches work by treating multicast frames identically to broadcast frames and routing them to every switch port.

This almost inevitably causes performance problems, if not immediately then as soon as some device somewhere enters a low-power state; a machine in low-power mode will often maintain the switch link state at a 10Mbps rate, and so if any port on any switch enters such a state the results can include a catastrophic (and from the point of view of Ghost, inexplicable and unexplainable) drop in performance for the multicast session as the switch tries to stuff a gigabit-rate traffic stream into a 10Mbps link to a powered-off machine.

So again, this tends to be another place where extrapolating from small-scale tests to larger-scale environments causes problems; these kinds of problems never show up in small-scale tests because the test environments have a tendency to unwittingly eliminate all the sources of problems which actually show up in real usage.

This is one reason that, understanding how IP multicast works is crucial, because it's important for networks to use it (to avoid serious problems resulting from inappropriately causing multicast traffic to be treated as broadcast traffic) but it's also extremely common for it to be misconfigured.

Is there a practical software solution to this issue, or is my only option getting a new switch that supports IGMP Snooping and has an IGMP Querier? 

No, but it's something you may well need to consider and certainly should include in your evaluation of switches.

In enviroments where there are snooping switches but nothing capable of generating queries (including the upstream routers) then there are simple software solutions such as Xorp, which although it is a very capable routing package is quite easy to configure just to generate IGMP queries (and which is readily packaged as a very light-weight VM appliance, making it easy to test and deploy).