Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Multiple copies of same Media after 2010 - 2012 upgrade

Created: 25 Jan 2013 | 3 comments

Hi all,

So after upgrading from BE 2010 -2012 I have ended up with multiple copies of some of my tapes.

For example, I have a tape named TWS053L4.  If I look at 'All media' I can see it 3 entries for it.  They were in different Media Sets but I have put them all in the media set I want them to be.

One of the entries shows the location as my Robotic Library, so I believe this is the 'correct' one, but hjow can I safely get rid of the duplicate entries?

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Larry Fine's picture

You can try moving it to the "Retired" media set and then deleting it.  I haven't seen this situation, so I cannot declare it to be risk free.  But the worst case scenario would require an inventory and cataalog to recover your restore selections.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

Donald Eady's picture

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/defa...); padding-right: 27px; margin-right: 3px; font-weight: 700; line-height: 15px; color: rgb(114, 168, 38); text-decoration: initial; font-family: helvetica, arial, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-position: 100% -15px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">twshelpdesk

I would agree with Lary in that you can associate the tapes with retired media and delete them, then inventory and catalog. I would do this with all of the duplicated tapes and then inventory and catalog the library. 

I hope this posting was helpful

twshelpdesk's picture

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

I have noticed that my number of duplicated tapes has decreased alot over the weekend.  I wonder if BE2012 is sorting itself out once it uses the tapes again.

I still have a couple of duplicates, but they become overwritable over the next few days so I am hoping they will sort itself out.

I will keep an eye on things!