Multiplexing and Maximum Concurrent Jobs - Best Practices
I have a Netbackup 7.5 Master server at the head office with 32GB RAM, 2 CPU X5650 2.66GHz (16 core total) which is connected to a Storagetek SL500 with 6 drives LTO 5.
My Netbackup Media server is in our datacenter (Cloud) 12 miles away, with 48GB RAM, 2 CPU X5650 2.66GHz (16 core total) which is connected to a LUN of 16T, 7200rpm (nearline). Storage Unit
Actualy, I do not use the multiplexing on my Storagetek drives and my maximum concurrent jobs for my storage units is 6 (media server)
The backup are going to the storage unit (16T) during night (backup to disk) and after, during the day, the backup are duplicated to the 6 tapes drives, 12 miles away, at the head office, Master server.
My backup start at 5pm to 7am and my duplication is starting at 7am to 5pm.
How I could optimize my systems?
- does I should run the duplication all day long, instead of 7am to 5pm?
- does I should increase the maximum concurrent jobs on my media storage units?
- does I should use the multipliexing on my 6 Storagetek drives?
The differntial backup's runing monday to friday
Full Backup during the week-end
I'm asking because everything is running 24/24 and more client servers is comming very soon.
I want to reduse the backup and duplication time.
Thanks for your help
If you are backing up to disk
If you are backing up to disk and then duplicating to tape then multiplexing has no effect - images that duplicate from disk to tape will just run one at a time and do not multiplex.
If you are running over a limited link and hitting a 24/7 state of backups then the thing that would really help is to add de-duplication into the mix
So maybe backup to de-dupe at the main site, perform optimised de-dupe to another de-dupe pool at the other office which will put far less data over the link and then duplicate those to tape on that site
The reduction in bandwidth using the optimised duplication with de-dupe should allow you to let everything run at all times (which is the default behavoir of Storage Lifecycle Policies which would be used to do this) and you would find a major difference in your duplication times
Hope this helps - simple answers to you questions:
- does I should run the duplication all day long, instead of 7am to 5pm? - yes if you link and its other usage can accept that data running
- does I should increase the maximum concurrent jobs on my media storage units? - disk perhaps if any are queued and the media server can cope, the tape STUs should match the number of drives you have
- does I should use the multipliexing on my 6 Storagetek drives? - no, as it has no effect on duplications from disk
#edit# if using de-dupe and 7.5 then you could also use NetBackup Accelerator to dramatically speed up your backups - all licensed options so you may want to look at being capacity managed in terms of licensing to get the bext value - or even implementing the NetBackup Appliances (N5220's)