My struggles with DS7.5
Created: 28 Oct 2013 | 20 comments
In the past few weeks i've been setting up CMS/DS7.5 for a lucky customer. Here are some of the problems i've encountered;
- Importing Windows 7 for SOI: put all the files in a folder called "Sources" and import it via the console. The installer will map a E:\ drive and look for E:\sources\setup.exe to start windows 7 install
- Importing Windows XP for SOI: import the i386 folder. Installer will map a E:\ drive and look for E:\i386\winnt32.exe to start the installation
- PXE while debugging: if you cancel a Client Deloyment Job that has a PXE task and the agent on the client cannot report to the NS server, the client will not get a PXE filename anymore. You have to boot to windows and have the SMA report and update, or delete the machine from the database and add it again (as predefined) until you can give it a PXE job again. Giving it a seperate PXE job sometimes helps as well. Please add an option to see some logging with the decision that PXE makes and why (eg. "No bootfile given to xx-xx-xx-xx-xx because no task is available".)
- Client Job for deploying an image that has a Software Install job will give an error thats something like: "There are no licensed agents available" If the SMA is active on the computer but doesn't have the software management plugin installed.
- After booting to WinPE it takes 5 minutes for the actual deployment to start. Any way to speed this up?
- After deploying a sysprepped Windows image, it takes 5 minutes for the agent to start and continue the deployment job. Any way to speed this up?
Hope this helps people and improves the product. If you've got any questions about my findings, let me know.