Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

N5220 appliance - OST

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 25 Feb 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Guys,

What is the benefit of installing OST on NetBackup 52xx appliance?

Thanks

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

Can you elaborate ?

OST is a plugin to Netbackup, there are plugins from various vendors like EMC,Sepaton and Quantum that  let Netbackup utilize control the vendors hardware to Netbackup full knowledge (like replicating). 

If's a traditional Netbackup installation or  a appliance box does not make much of a difference. You can still enjoy the full power of OST is needed. 

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Itegral's picture

thanks for your response.

So with NetBackup appliance (with one/two storage shelves attached) we still can add 3rd party Open Storage devices i.e. DataDomain etc.??

Nicolai's picture

Yes for the 5200 series - not for the 5000 series (PDDO appliances).

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Itegral's picture

Thanks - last but not least;

If I have two NetBackup 5000 appliances in 2 different DCs replicating to each other using NBU SLP; can I change the replication target on the media servers to a 3rd party appliance (i.e. Dell DR4000 deduplication)?

Marianne's picture

I realize that this discussion is quite old...

I don't believe that MSDP or PDDO images can be replicated/duplicated to 3rd Party Appliances.

The only supported config that I can find is MSDP to PDDO.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION