Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

NAv 10.1 to EndPoint 11

Created: 06 Dec 2007 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 13 comments
We recent upgraded all of our Pc's to Endpoint and couple of our users are getting this error

[quote]
The Add-in"Symantec Antivirus 10.1"(c:\program files\Symantec Antivirus\vpmsece4.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by outlook. Please contact the Ad-in manufactor for an update. If no update is avaible, please uninstall the add-in.
[/quote]

Now i found alot of post saying to delete the Extend.bat file, which i did...but still didnt help. I also uninstalled all instances of Symantec and rebooted and reinstalled..

Is this something we can ignore or this something really major wrong.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but once i removed the extend.bat file...we were no long able to receive emails from anyone outside of our company

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

ahmad atef's picture
HI
i ALSO GET THIS ERROR AND NOTHING HELPED, CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP US.
Jainam Technologies(Amol S)'s picture
Hi,

Open MS outlook - tool-option - other - advanced option - add in manager - uncheck symantec antivirus outlook protection.    Whether problem solved or not reply me..
Sandeep Cheema's picture

Please ensure you have searched for the extend.dat in the following way:

To find and delete copies of Extend.dat

Exit Outlook if the program is open.

Confirm that Windows is set to show hidden and system folders.

To show hidden and system folders, read How to make Windows show all files.

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Search > For Files or Folders.

Under "Search for files or folders named," type the following text:

extend.dat

Click Search Now.

Wait for the search to finish.

Delete all copies of the Extend.dat file.

Restart the computer.

If a Group Policy that hides system files is in effect, you may not find the Extend.dat file when you search or browse, even after you set Windows to show all files. If you do not find any copies of the Extend.dat file, use a command prompt to delete the file(s).

To find and delete copies of Extend.dat from a command prompt

Exit Outlook if the program is open.

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.

In the Open box, type cmd and then click OK.

At the command prompt type the following command and then press Enter:

cd %appdata%

The prompt should show the Application Data folder for the current local user.

If the command does not work, use the cd command with the full path to the current local user's Application Data folder. For example:

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\<local_user>\Local Settings\Application Data"

where <local_user> is the name of the current local user.

Type cd microsoft\outlook and then press Enter.

Type del extend.dat and then press Enter.

Delete the Extend.dat file for every user local account on the computer.

Restart the computer.

De facto when AV does something, it starts jumping up and down, waving its arms, and shouting...

"Hey!  I found a virus!  Look at me!  I'm soooo goooood!"

st8800's picture
I have done both window explorer search and cmd as specified. Windows Explorer couldn't find the file.

I managed to get to C:\Documents and Settings\<local_user>\Local Settings\Application Data\microsoft\outlook

However, extend.dat cannot be found. Thus cannot be deleted. I have already uninstalled NAV. Another other solution?
rush222's picture
Nope, did not work. It doesn't even show up in the add-in manager. According to the error message, it says it disabled it but where is it and how can I remove it completely?
SKlassen's picture
Try searching the registry for references to vpmsece4.dll
Nolan Aplon's picture
We recently deployed version 11 to few computers, we got the same complains, "vmpsece4.dll could not be installed or loaded". We had to delay the deployment to hundred of users, it might create more trouble tickets. Can Symantec release a fix  or patch for this instead of the Service Desk waiting for complains, tracing all the users' profile. It will cost a lot of time and of course money...
SKlassen's picture
That extension is the Outlook plugin from SAV I believe.  The uninstallation process deletes the file, but sometimes leaves behind a registry entry.  That's why the error.  Outlook is trying to initialize a dll that doesn't exist anymore.  The specific key can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions.  If your helpdesk has some means of remote deployment,  you can give them a reg file to delete the specific key.  You could also shoot the reg file out to all machines immediately after installing SEP, so the end-users never see the issue. 
Epeel's picture

This result worked great! Thank you. I only had to search for the extend.dat and a bunch of the popped up for different profiles. Got rid of them and all went well.

dorr's picture

Just to add to Jainan's post.  If you had a previous version of Symantec, Outlook may be trying to load the old plugin which obviously does not exist anymore after upgrading to Endpiont.  So when you look at your plugins you may see two plugins, one for each version.  Obviously you can uncheck the old plugin as it no longer exists and this should resolve your error. 

sbradley's picture

I don't remember from where, but I learned a little trick last week to fix this in 20 seconds or less for Outlook 2007.  Go to Outlook tools menu, select "Trust Center", then select "Add-ins".  At the bottom of the window is the "Manage" drop-down menu.  Select "Exchange Client Extensions" and click "Go".  In the window that pops up, UNCHECK the Symantec Antivirus option and click "OK".  Close Outlook and reopen it.  Kazaam!  It's gone.  Now I must confess that I don't really know the ramifications of unchecking this box other than the desired result of getting rid of the error message.  If someone knows this to create more problems than it fixes, please correct me.

pbogu's picture

The quickest way to fix that after upgrade from 10 to 11 is to use SavPluginUtil.exe

Make it accessible on some fileshare and add the path to logon script with /s switch to run silently.
This way you don't have to go to every machine and fix it.

sbradley's picture

Dear pbogu. Unfortunately, I'm not an IT guy at all, so I don't have the manual to read, and probably wouldn't understand it if I did, but certainly would try if I had it.  I'm sure your suggestion will work for all the "smart people" (trained IT), but I'm just an advanced end user trying to "help a brother out".  I'm the little guy trying to help the other little guys with a simple fix.  Thank goodness for people who really know what their doing.  Thanks for your support!