Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

NB migration - the hard way 6.5.6 to 7.5 - questions

Created: 12 Mar 2013 • Updated: 12 Mar 2013 | 6 comments
rgd's picture

hi community!

let me introduce the 'challenge' i'm facing: i need to migrate our old NB 6.5.6 running on a W2k3 server to a new hardware and to W2k8 - so far so good, but i am also changing hostname and domain - no way around that

from what i found in posts here, there is NO way to keep the catalogue info alive, when changing hostname - except by getting consulting services, which is no option unfortunately

so, i'll have to import all the tapes and recreate the catalogue by doing phase 1 and phase 2 imports on all tapes? correct?
in a recent posting here i found that the phase-1 imports are only valid for one week? so i have to phase 1 and phase 2 within one week? how can i prolong that, because i have to import around 400 tapes :(

do i have to import the tapes on a new 6.5.6 installation first, and then upgrade to 7.5 or can i import the tapes into 7.5 directly? i guess directly works, right?

any help appreciated!
thanks!

rob

edit: 'old' server is master&media, new server will be master&media, tape library connected

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Your alternative is Recovery without Import.

With this method, you add all Assigned tapes from Oldserver to a non-backup pool (e.g. RESTORE) on the Newserver and simply copy the images folder across.

What I am not 100% sure about is if NBU 6.5 images can be copied straight into 7.5 server - the image headers in 7.5 have been moved into the EMM database.

Possibly best to install new server with 6.5.x, copy images across, add tapes to RESTORE pool, run NBCC and submit to Symantec Support (the will return a script that will Assign these tapes with correct expiration date), and then upgrade to 7.5 (followed by 7.5.0.4 or 7.5.0.5).

Hope this helps....

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

rgd's picture

hi marianne, thanks for the quick reply - hoped that you would answer, saw your helpful comments on the other posts across the forums :)

i'm just reading the whitepaper for this, and will come back with additional questions if they arise :)

thanks so far!

Marianne's picture

There is a new 7.5 version, but then both masters need to be on 7.5:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28722

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

rgd's picture

so, after going through the whitepaper on a busy day, i got the following out of it:

- i'll set up the new server (which is master&media) with latest 7.5
- upgrade the old 6.5.6 to 7.5 latest
- backup catalogue on the old server
- do a recovery without import according to whitepaper

all i 'loose' is the automatic expiration of the tapes - the stored backup-images are still good and can be restored...
expiration of tapes has to be done manually, expired tapes need to be manually moved to the scratch-pool

if i just set up the server with 7.5 instead, and do the two-phase import on all 400+ tapes netbackup is able to take care of the expiration of the imported backup-sets & tapes?

so i have to choose between the less-comfortable solution versus the more time-consuming one

right?
thanks again,
rob

edited the steps since i had a mistake in understanding the procedure

Marianne's picture

About Recovery without Import:

all i 'loose' is the automatic expiration of the tapes

Run NBCC and submit to Symantec Support.
They will provide a script to add assign and data expiration dates.

Handy NBU Links

rgd's picture

did the upgrade of the old server to 7.5.0.5 - no issues so far

will do the recovery without import next week
thanks so far
rob