Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

NBU 6.5.6 catalog recovery

Created: 21 Oct 2012 • Updated: 23 Oct 2012 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

After DR I installed new Win 2008 R2 and NBU 6.5.6.

Configured storage devices (robot with 2 tapes) and started catalog recovery.

BLAT mails specifay all the required information for recovery.

Job finished scussfully with message last imag can't be located....

18-Oct-12 10:02:25 - Info nbjm(pid=3748) NBU status: 2075, EMM status: Fibre Transport resources are not available  
18-Oct-12 10:02:27 - connecting
18-Oct-12 10:02:29 - connected; connect time: 00:00:02
18-Oct-12 10:02:29 - started process bptm (3816)
18-Oct-12 10:02:30 - begin reading
18-Oct-12 14:22:53 - end reading; read time: 04:20:23
18-Oct-12 14:22:54 - restored image hfa-backup_1349020855 - (the requested operation was successfully completed(0)); restore time 04:20:29
18-Oct-12 14:22:54 - end Restore; elapsed time: 04:20:30
the requested operation was successfully completed(0)

And NBU has no policys, confugration.

Try to restore twice from 2 diffrent DR files wuth the same resault.

Please help

Danny

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

watsons's picture

Where is this message (not in your job details?)

"Job finished scussfully with message last imag can't be located...."

If the above is just one of the successful restore jobs, please check if the other restore job (such as restoring NBDB) are fine.

Marianne's picture

I agree - we need the progress log. 

Please locate the log under ...\netbackup\logs\user_ops\<USER-NAME>\logs. Rename to .txt extension and post as File attachment.

Hopefully you have disabled UAC on this server? I have seen UAC causing lots of 'weird' issues.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Danny Guttman's picture

Hi Thanks for your help, UAC is disable on this server.

yesterday I started a recovre from CMD with bprecover -wizard and it's the same resault.

C:\Users\dguttman-d>bprecover -wizard

Welcome to the NetBackup Catalog Recovery Wizard!

Please make sure the devices and media that contain catalog disaster recovery data are available
Are you ready to continue?(Y/N)
y
Please specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file:
\\hfa-toaster\NBU_CAT\Cat_files\Catalog-backup_1348753715_FULL
hfa-backup_1348753715
All media resources were located
To recover the full catalog select (Y) or to recover the image catalog only select (N)
y
Catalog recovery is in progress. Please wait...
ERR - Failed to find last backup image record for client hfa-backup, client_type 7, with policy Catalog-backup and sched_type 0 (227)
Failed to recover catalog (227)

AttachmentSize
Recover1350831327.txt 378.81 KB
Marianne's picture

Was NBU installed to exact same path as original server?

NBU cannot find backup image for Relational DB in the path where NBU is currently installed.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Danny Guttman's picture

Thanks Marianne, I might of missed this one it was installed on a system with C and D drives and I recollect it was on D drive and while reinstalling I used all defaults.

I'll check this out.

You are very helpfull smiley

Marianne's picture

You will need to start from scratch - completely uninstall NBU, then install to D:\Program Files and patch to same level as original server.

Catalog recovery should be successful....

See this TN for server migration steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

PS: Hopefully this recovery will be followed by upgrade to 7.1 or 7.5? NBU 6.x reached EOSL earlier this month.

Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
Danny Guttman's picture

Hi Marianne 

I'm doing it now.

Regarding upgrade to 7.5, I started to check the option the problem is that Symantec offers are so expencive comparing to other products that currently I don't have a choice but to stay with the 6.5.

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes with the recover of the catalogs.

Danny

Marianne's picture

Danny, upgrade is free if your maintenance is up-to-date.

Handy NBU Links

Mark_Solutions's picture

How far out of maintenance are you? Your partner / reseller may be able to adjust the back payments for you rather than having to start from scratch

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Danny Guttman's picture

Well, we are not under maintenance for 4 years.

I contact Symantec vendor in Israel just 2 weeks ago and he send me an offer that was simply ludicrous.

The price Symantec is asking I can purchase a small time storage server.

So I don't have the option to upgrade and I have started to look for alternative salutions.

Danny

Mark_Solutions's picture

If you did not install the DR Master to the wrong drive letter then the other usual issue here is that the tape copy used was a duplicate of the original catalog backup (so is copy 2 or copy 3)

If that is the case then after the images etc have restored and the database part fails you can run a bprecover -r -nbdb or from the start use bprecover -wizard -copy 2

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Danny Guttman's picture

Thanks all for your help, the recovery process completed and I'm back to normal operation.

Marianne's picture

Please remember to select the post that pointed you in the right direction and Mark As Solution.

PS: The reason why I asked if this is a migration step before upgrading to NBU 7.x, is because W2008 R2 is only supported as from NBU 7.0. 
Although installation may function fairly okay, chances are that you will at some point experience issues due to OS incompatibility.
See 6.5 OS Compatibility Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70729
7.x Compatibility Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Handy NBU Links

Danny Guttman's picture

It was your post regarding correct path.

Regarding 6.5 compatibility, in principal it's not supported under 2008 R2 but Symantec sent me an update a while back that needs to be installed immediately after the initial 6.5 installation and allow normal operation of the system.

I have been working like this for the past 3 years(approximate), all my issues started on October 3rd. surprisingly on the same day the version went EOL.