Video Screencast Help

NBU Upgrade to 7.5.0.3 on WIN 2003

Created: 31 Aug 2012 • Updated: 20 Sep 2012 | 9 comments
Deepak G's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am planning to upgrade from 6.5.6 to 7.5.0.3. Master is running on WINDOWS 2003 32 BIT operating system.

I have gone through the sort tool and it says we can upgrade it. But the installation guide says we cannot install netbackup master on 32 bit version.

Can someone pls clarify it.

Extract from 7.5 Install Guide

NetBackup 7.x server software is 64-bit compatible only and cannot be installed on 32-bit systems.  If you have 32-bit systems with NetBackup 6.x master servers that you want to upgrade, you must first migrate the NetBackup catalog and databases to a supported 64-bit system.

See “About replacing NetBackup server types not supported

in NetBackup 7.x” on page 37.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ashish-Sharma's picture

hi,

If you have install 64 bit version on 32 bit OS it's not supported.

You Can download 32 bit version.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189607

NB_7.5.0.3.winnt.x86.exe provides fixes for NetBackup 7.5 on 32-bit Windows server and clients.
www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189617

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Ashish-Sharma's picture

hi,

any update on this ?

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Deepak G's picture

Ashish - I was asking whether we can upgrade an existing 32bit master server from version 6.5.6 to 7.5.0.3.

It is possible. But the granual level backup does not work with WIN 2003 32 bit servers.

But had seen a line on upgrade guide and which said we had migrate the existing catalog to a 64 bit system. That was pointing to upgrading when upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

CRZ's picture

Hi Ashish,

Your Install Guide excerpt is from the UNIX guide (I found it on page 90) - I think you will find that that verbiage does not exist in the Windows version of the Guide because it does not apply.

As you noted from the O/S Compatibility List, 32-bit 2003 is still allowed as a master.

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5154

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Installation Guide for Windows
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5155

NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List (Updated August 31, 2012)
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Good luck with your upgrade!  NetBackup 6.x is off our radar in under a month!  ;-)

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

SOLUTION
Mark_Solutions's picture

Best to put a new Master Server in place

Build a new 64 bit server, shut down the old one, install NBU and patch the do a catalog recovery

Once done you can upgrade to 7.5 (and 7.5.0.3 immediately) and have all the features you need

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

markdavies1978's picture

I agree with Mark, this is what I did, albeit when I went from a 6.0MP4 solution to 7.0.

I was lucky enough to have a spare server to do this.

Also, should you have any issues you can turn the old server back on while you investigate.

Deepak G's picture

The customer doesnt want to spend money on hardware upgrade and they already have an environment newly setup and running on 7.5 on 32 bit 2003 server.

Have no other option other than to go for an upgrade on a existing 32 bit platform.

markdavies1978's picture

Make sure you have taken a full catalog before you do anything!

Also...

How big is your environment?

How many Master\Media Servers?

After your next full backup would you have enough time in the day to run a catalog rebuild the server with your prefered choice of OS install & patch NBU to your desired level & then import the catalog?

Mark_Solutions's picture

VMWare is pretty handy too for a quick new server - as long as it is just a dedicated Master (which of course it should be)

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.