Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 05:43 AM

Hi,

I am trying to simply setup and configure a PXE server that my client machines can network boot to and pull down an image. I do not want to use a disc or usb drive  I need to be able to PXE boot from any of my client machines and pull down an image from a central location.

- here's what i have done so far:

Installed Ghost 2.5 Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 on one Pc HP 8100 Intel i5 as i do not have a sever to use I have  saved the image to this pc. This pc and 8 others are connected to a 16 port hub. All the pc's are identical HP 8100 Intel i5's. The hub is not plugged into the network so all of this is standalone.

We are also fully covered for ghost licenses. We normally ghost our pc's and laptops using a bootable usb harddrive with the image on the usb drive,  but because we have just got 100 new ones in I need a faster way of doing this. If need be I can connect the hub to the network for all the pc's to get an IP from the DHCP or I could install aDHCP on the pc such as tiny DHCP. I do not have access to our DHCP server here.

I have tried by running Ghostcast booting the pc's with a boot disk and selecting multicast but neither the pc or ghost see each other.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have limited experience with ghost and will need to image over 200 pc's and 60 laptop's in the next month. 

• 2.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 06:26 AM

Hi,

Check what IP address the client machine receives in the PreOS.

After the client boots into Ghost, Go to Peer to Peer -> TCP/IP -> Slave

Check the IP address in the dialog box.

Is it a valid IP address ??

• 3.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 07:14 AM

I dont have an Ip address yet because I have been unable to ghost the pc's using the ghostcast server.  I set the ghostcast server to acept client but none are picking it up.

• 4.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 01:58 PM

For PXE to work you need A DHCP server, A TFTP server and Boot Image file.

I have used Syslinux to create a boot menu.

• 5.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 07:00 PM
    Ok I will see If I can get access to our DHCP here Would any one know where I could find step by step instructions on how to set all of this up. I have been looking the past two days but have not found out hot to set everything up to work together.

• 6.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 20, 2010 09:00 PM

Found the following articles for setting up a PXE boot,

If you use WinPE as PreOS refer the following article,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH110129&locale=en_US

If you use PC-DOS as PreOS refer the following article,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH107441&locale=en_US

Hope this helps !!

• 7.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 21, 2010 12:15 PM

Thanks for the links. I followed the first artical exactly 3 times and I am using Tftpd32 for DHCP. I have double checked the steps a number of times.

The client pc is now picking up an IP address. But the TFTP is failing with error.

PXE-T00 unspecified file opening error detected

PXE-e36 Error recived from TFTP server

PXE-M0F exiting Intel Boot image

In the DHCP I selected the option Option 067 Bootfile Name String Value: /boot/pxeboot.n12

But still no luck. I think it might be time to give up and go back to using the bootable usb drive.

• 8.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 23, 2010 03:18 PM
    Success (sort of)

I have mangaed to get the pc to pxe boot into ghost. I connected a braodband router to the hub for DHCP and to my surprise it worked and also selecting proxy DHCP on the 3com PXE Server

The problem is that Gostcast is not seeing any clients and the client is not seeing the ghostcast Server and Im not sure why not. I have set it to Forcemode Multicast.

• 9.  RE: Need Help imaging 100+ pc's

Posted Oct 26, 2010 08:28 AM
    Would anyone know why the pc is booting into the ghost console as if it were a boot cd and why the Ghost server is not picking up the client?

I was hopeing to pxe boot all of the pc's and then use ghost cast to send the image out.