Need help to upgrade Enterprise vault server 8.0.4 to 9.0.4
We had planned to upgrade the EVSERVER1 version 8.0.4 to EV Version 9.0.4 which running upon windows 2008 enterprise server, so that it could start support the archiving for Exchange 2010. But EV upgrade Ver. 9.04 gets failed, And acknowledge the Reason we have stopped the EV Service only one EVSERVER1 which we want to upgrade but have not stopped in others 4 EV Servers (Server2..Server5) which we do not want to upgrade and those EV Server are also sharing the same SQL server 2005.
As per EV upgrade/recovery I have taken the following steps given below….
1. I have taken the backup of my first EV server1 version 8.0.4 which one archiving the Exchange 2003 Server.
2. Run the deployment scanner and verify EV 9.0.4 pre requirement is ready for upgrade .
3. Stop the EV server service in EV Server 1 but not in rest of the other EV which one sharing the Same SQL Server.
4. Start to deploy the EV 9.0 binary on the EV Server1 which get deployed and ask for reboot the EV server1.
5. After reboot the EV Server, admin service started but EV directory Service could not started.
At last EV upgrade failed on the EV server1. We have analyze the issue all EV server sharing the same SQL Server which EV service not stopped due to EV Server1 upgrade failed. Finally I have roll back to EV Server to previous version 8.0.4. after restoration the EV SQL directory database on the SQL server and EV registry on the EVSERVER1.
So our objective still same we want to upgrade EV 8.0.4 to 9.0.4 on the EVSERVER1 for enhance the support of Exchange 2010. EVSERVER1 is currently archiving the mails for Exchange Server 2003 SP2.
We do not want to currently upgrade EVSERVER2, EVSERVER3, EVSERVER4 and EVSERVER5 and have a plan to upgrade later.
Please guide me how to perform the upgrade only to my EVSERVER1 for archiving the Exchange 2010 server without upgrade the other 4 EV Servers.
Second how can I promote to my Standby server SERVER3 as Active EVSERVER in case my EVSERVER1 get failed.
Symantec Enterprise vault Admin guide given only the short idea about the DR and EV recovery not in details. Kindly also share the some good EV DR case study and upgrade document.
I am giving the deployment details of our Enterprise vault details given below…
We have 5 EV Server in our customer network, each one have different roles, details are given below….
|EVSERVER1||Mailbox arching and journaling|
|EVSERVER2||File System and sharepoint Archiving|
|EVSERVER3||Standby with Building Blocks|
|Cluster SQL Server1|
|Cluster SQL Server2|
|FE Exchange||Virtual Exchange Server|
|BE Exchange1||Physical Cluster Exchange Server|
|BE Exchange2||Physical Cluster Exchange Server|
My EV deployment architecture is attached.
kindly suggest that.....
1. How can i upgrade our EVSERVER1 ver 8.0.4 to 9.0.4 without upgrade my other EVSERVER2, EVSERVER3, EVSERVER3, EVSERVER4, EVSERVER5 which connected to same directory database on the SQL Server ?
2. How to promote Standby Building Block Entperprise Vault Server "EVSERVER3" as acitve EVSERVER in case EV upgrade ver 8.0.4 to ver 9.0.4 failed on EVSERVER1 ?