Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Need help upgrading from Software Virtualization Agent version 2.1.3062 to Symantec Workspace Virtualization 6.4.1266.0

Created: 17 May 2012 | 6 comments

Hello,

We're looking to move from SVS to SWV.

We use Altiris 6.9 SP3 and have a few SVS installs set up on it.  We have a new department joining us that will be running Windows 7 x64.  SVS doesn't run on x64, so I need to move to SWV x64.

- If I install SWV on their clients, will my existing SVS installs work or do I need to remake all of them?

- Does our license for SVS apply to SWV or do we need to spend more $?

Thank you for your time.

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

SVS was renamed to SWV but is basically the same product albeit at different versions.

I believe your old SVS layers should work OK, but the only way to be absolutely sure is to test each virtual app in the new environment, especially if you intend to run  SVS apps created on XP on a Windows 7 platform - as there are other operational considerations that may need to be catered for.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

edwimb's picture

I installed SWV on a client and it completed without errors. 

I then tried to deploy a known good .vsa for java and it fails with a SVS agent not installed error.

EdT's picture

What client did you install on?  Please confirm the operating system and also whether 32 bit or 64 bit.

What "known good" .vsa for Java are you testing?  Are you testing on the same version of operating system that the .vsa was created on?   

Virtualisation does not get around any incompatibilities that may exist between a software application or utility and a specific operating system version, so have you checked whether a manual install of the version of Java you are testing still works?

Bear in mind that 32 bit apps running on a 64 bit operating system are going to need to install into Program Files (x86) and not Program Files, but I'm not sure whether the latest clients can make this adjustment automatically with old SVS packages.

Hope this gives you a few things to look at.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

edwimb's picture

I installed SWV on Windows 7 x64.

The known good .vsa was created on Windows XP x86.  It sounds like you're implying I need to recreate the .vsa on Windows 7 x64.

Yes a manual install of this Java version still works on Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86.

Basically we have a corporate approved version of Java we need to run for all of our legacy programs to work.  We are going to Windows 7 x64 and I'm making the build.  We haven't touched SVS or SWV in years.  I was hired here 5 months ago and the guy that made all this stuff is who I replaced ;) 

I need to get this Java install working on x64.  I assume I need to go to SWV in order for it to work on a x64 OS.  It sounds like I will also need to recreate the package. Is this the case?

How can I find out if we are even licensed for SWV?  If you have SVS are you licensed for it or is it a separate purchase?

edwimb's picture

I contacted licensing and it looks like we are licensed for it.  I'm going to download the newest version.

Do I need to redo the .vsa for Java for x64?  Is there a guide or a quick explanation available on how to make a .vsa?

EdT's picture

The only really reliable way to check whether you need to redo the .vsa for Java x64 is to test it on your build using your developed package. After all, there are many ways to configure the Java runtime to do things such as turning off autoupdate, etc, so it would be impossible to give you a carte blanche guarantee that your particular configuration and build are going to work together.