Video Screencast Help

Need to Recreate BE 2010 Catalog

Created: 12 Sep 2013 | 13 comments

Help!

I tried to change the location of my BE2010 R3 catalog using BEUtility and it seems to have emptied the old catalog before recreating the new one.  Now, I have two empty catalogs and no backup that I know of.  Is there any way to recreate the catalog?  I hope the answer is not to have to load and catalog all of my tapes, because that would be a huge job!

thanks,

Linda

Operating Systems:

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

ANevatia's picture

Hello Linda,

Well that would be only option left now. You will have to re-catalog the tapes because you have mentioned that there is no backup of the catalogs.

Thanks,

ANevatia

Linda Lounsbury's picture

Well that is not good news!  Have you ever heard of the BEUtility clearing out the old catalog file and when changing paths?

Also, for future reference, can you direct me to a TN on backing up my catalog and other important BE files?

Thanks,

Linda

Maybe someone else has another suggestion for my situation?

thanks,

Linda

teiva-boy's picture

Each dady backupexec makes a backup of its database, perhaps there is a copy there?  Look for a file called bedb.bak.  Use the BEutil to see about restoring back what you need..

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

Yes, I see that there is one that was made 9/12/2013 at 4 am called BEDB.bak in the symantec\backup exec\data directory.  Is there a TN on using BEUtility to restore the catalog from this file?

thanks,

Linda

ANevatia's picture

Hello Linda,

Well you can backup the catalog folder itself using the Backup Exec. 

Another thing > there is no use of restoring the BEDB.BAK file because it contains the backup of the database which is the data folder so you wont get your catalogs back even after that ( What will happen is that you will loose your new job configuration made after the backup was taken ) so please do not restore the BEDB.BAK file.

I havent heard of a situation where BEutility would wipe out  a catalog folder when changing paths. I would presume you didnt perform the steps correctly. 

In any case you can only re-catalog your tapes now and in future make sure you have a copy of the catalog folder.

Thanks,

ANevatia

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Hey Linda.

Can you please look into the old "catalogs" folder and see if there are any fh and xml files.

If yes you can copy them over to the new catalogs folder and restart the backup exec services.

Technical Support

Symantec

unfortunately, the old catalogs folder is empty.  I do have job log xml files in the data folder, but only for about one month's worth of job logs. I just searched for .fh files and there are none on the server.

I will definitely start backing up my Catalog file from now on!  

Thanks to all for your replys.

Linda

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Linda,

Changing the catalog location through beutility should not delete the old catalogs, I am sure something else happened in there can you check your recycle bin (just in case)

See this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50247 and read the last 2 lines.

And to answer your questions about backing up BE settings to save time you should always

Backup the \data folder from the BE installation directory for the Backup Exec database

Backup the \catalogs folder for the catalogs to save time at the time of restore.

Technical Support

Symantec

I did check my recycly bin - catalog data not there. I can't imagine what I did to delete those files without deleting the folder they were in.  I would have had to select them all and then delete them, and if they were too big to fit in the recycle bin, I would have gotten a message to that effect, telling me this would be an unrecoverable delete.  I am baffled!

Thanks,

Linda

So, one last question, before I close this out.  Since I no longer have a catalog, does this mean that I will not be able to see what tape a file is on until I have recatalogued the tape that it is on?

What is actually in the BE database besides configuration and policy information?

Thanks,

Linda

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

To view the data on the cata the tapes need to be recataloged if the catalog data is missing from the catalogs folder. This will recreate the fh and xml files inside the catalog folder

Catalogs > All the restore selections (like the table of contents of a book)

Database > Job settings, Media set related information, Credentials, Device related information,Job Policies, rules, encryption keys, etc.

Technical Support

Symantec

Good to know.  Thanks for all the responses.

Linda