Expand all | Collapse all

Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Migration User

Migration UserJul 14, 2009 01:38 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 24, 2009 12:40 PM

• 1.  Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 13, 2009 05:58 PM

Can someone please point me the the correct documents for a local liveupdate server.

I have eight machine which don't ever hook up to the internet or will the server. I need to setup the server to push all the updates to the eight systems.

I just need to be pointed to the correct documents for this kind of setup

-Thanks,
    Radixaz

• 2.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 13, 2009 06:03 PM
    I hope this is what you are looking for.

Liveupdate readme for Enterprise - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.3.0/readme.txt

Downloads - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/lu/lu/files.html

• 3.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 13, 2009 06:11 PM
    Is there any documents with screen shots on how to setup and config. The endpoint liveupdate?

• 4.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 14, 2009 12:36 AM
    The documentation you are after is also on the SEP CD2 > Tools > Liveupdate folder

LiveUpdate Administrator Users Guide
    LiveUpdate Administrator Getting Started Guide

cheers

Z

• 5.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 14, 2009 01:27 AM
    There are also some pretty cool videos here. More get added all the time. Request certain ones too if there is something particular you want to see : )

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/security/videos

Grant-

• 6.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 14, 2009 01:38 AM
    Yes this docs is very much helpful.

Thanks Grant.

• 7.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 14, 2009 06:57 PM
    I have checked out all the documents on the CD's and don't seem to get it working.  

I need to have all the local system point to a Windows 2003 server for all of it's updates. None of the systems or the server will ever touch the internet.

Any help will be great!!

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

• 9.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 15, 2009 07:06 PM
    Paul,
           This worked great and did go through step by step and seems good  " BUT "

when I test the liveupdate server to look for the new updates it comes back with no new updates were found. I don't have this path C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\Symantec\LUA so created the LUA folder

The live server can't find any updates

Is there a certain extension the liveupdate server is looking for?

Do I have the incorrect path for the updates?

Thanks for the help

Please let me know

• 10.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 16, 2009 12:05 AM
    You may need to install LUA, it is located on the CD LUA folder.

• 11.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 16, 2009 04:53 PM
    It's installed which is the Liveupdate admin

I did create the LUA folder in the same location with no luck

plus on the CD 1 I don't have LUA folder or on CD 2 nothing

• 12.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 16, 2009 05:10 PM
    You installed LUA but did you configure it? You should see tens of files where you point your clients to get their updates. You may need to go through Paul's link step by step.

Do not make a manuel download or distribute request within the LUA. Do not cancel any jobs in the LUA since its database is quite fragile :(

Best regards

• 13.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 16, 2009 06:28 PM
    I did configure the LUA and went step by step from the info Paul sent me

I did point my clients to download all the files from the main server which is a Windows 2003 R2 server.

• 14.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 17, 2009 03:31 AM
    By the way, I've read your first post. There is no way you can push updates to clients. Allways clients come and download, after checking if there is anything new.

If you could successfully configured lua you should be able to see many files under this URL (if you used the default settings) http://lua-server-ip:7070/clu-prod
    from the client side.

If that is successful, then client LiveUpdate policy should point SEP to go and get the updates from this URL.

So where are you stuck?

• 15.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 17, 2009 06:43 PM
    Which files do I copy into the local server and were into the server
    Will the files be .jdb, exe files or what ?

I do have my clients pointed to http://lua-server-ip:7070/clu-prod then the client starts to download but only the catologs files not the virus-scan or any other file.

Any help will be great

Thanks,
    ed

• 16.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 18, 2009 07:30 AM
    I'd like to enter in the discussion... but I need some details.

1) are we talking about 1 server and 8 machines and nothing else?
    2) All of them are not connected to Internet, therefore you cannot automatically download the latest definitions, you have to do it manually from another PC outside this network, is it correct?
    3) Now you want to deploy these definitions from the server to all clients, obvious. To do this, you need to install the SEP Manager in the server and the SEP client in the clients, of course managed. By default SEP clients take definitions from the SEP Manager. You don't need to touch or set up anything or install LUA, you have only to be sure that the clients can communicate to the server. SEP clients go to the SEPM and, if something is available, they will download it automatically, pushing is not required. Any question?
    4) what you have to do is to give the latest definitions to the SEPM in the proper way and it will make them available for the clients and they will take them. Is this what you want?

How to do the point 4:

A) download the only .jdb file available here:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce
    B) Move the .jdb file (if it is saved as .zip, rename it as .jdb) to \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\content\incoming folder (default install location) in the server, the rest will happen automatically
    C) Repeat every day or at your convenience

I hope I guessed what you need,

Regards,

• 17.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 18, 2009 07:41 AM
    If the server is connect to anoter machine that has access to Internt you can install the LiveUpate Administrator in this machine and set the SEPM up to take the definions there.
    In way the definitions will go through this path: Symantec servers (Internet) > LUA > SEPM > SEP clients, automatically.
    I don't see other possible solutions.

Regards,

• 18.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Jul 24, 2009 12:40 PM
    Hi Radixaz,

did you  resolve your issue?

Regards,

• 19.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Posted Aug 02, 2009 09:59 AM

I suggest to use the SEPM or the GUP to provide the updates for the clients.

thanks.

• 20.  RE: Need some help with Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 05, 2009 09:03 PM

Hi,

Probably this might work for you....

How to update content on a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager that doesn't have Internet access

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008050810492448

How to update virus definitions and other content for Symantec antivirus products

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/19b203947c0926ad882574cf0065d0b0?OpenDocument

How to update definitions for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 using the Intelligent Updater
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007100816530248