Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Needing to upgrade to SEP 12.1.3 for Windows 8 PC's

Posted Dec 20, 2013 05:31 PM

I am currently on SEP 12.1.1000.157 RU1.  We have a mixture of XP & Win7 PC's on our network (1 server).  I began the setup of our first Win8 PC today.  After I ran the setup file (x86) it downloaded everything and got to the point of rebooting the PC.  Then I ran into the problem...PC said it had encountered an error and went back to a system restore point.  (I left at that point so I'm unsure in what state it's in...hopefully just prior to the SEP install.)

Then I realized that possibly I needed an SEP update for Win8 PC's which led me to the forums and I see that I do need to migrate to SEP 12.1.3 for Win8 PC's to run SEP.  I have pulled together all the info I need to do this and will move forward in January.

My question...for a period of time, I will have XP, Win7 & Win8 PC's on this network.  I won't have all PC's converted over to Win8 until late Spring.  Also there will be some 32-bit (all XP & some Win7) & some 64-bit (some Win7 & all new Win8) machines.  I just wanted to confirm that all of these PC's can co-exist after upgrading to SEP 12.1.3.  Can you confirm this?  Also, anything I need to particularly be aware of with this environment and the upgrade?

Thanks so much!
    Marsha

• 2.  RE: Needing to upgrade to SEP 12.1.3 for Windows 8 PC's
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2013 06:04 PM

Absolutely they can exist, regardless of what OS they run. SEP 12.1.3 supports all those versions. 12.1.2 was the first to support Windows 8:

About Windows 8 and Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Article:TECH174348  |  Created: 2011-11-14  |  Updated: 2013-11-05  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174348

So you should be fine :)