Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Netbackup 7.0.1 Status 96

Created: 16 Nov 2012 • Updated: 17 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Windows Server 2008, 64-bit, Netbackup 7.0.1, Status 96

I'm completely new to NBU. Attached is each policy that's failing (total of 3) followed by available media (see netbackup2.txt). I added another file (part of a separate file from logs\bptm) that has the status 96 error in it as well (see netbackup3.txt). If needed, I can upload the rest of it. What I understood is that these tapes are supposed to be written over, completely?, every so often. I'm sure others understand this much better than I do. We have a separate group of tapes used for offsite backup, these are our onsite backup tapes.

Per Marianna van der Berg in other threads, I followed this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag... and came up with this (see below), although I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate.

No, Multiple retentions per media is not enabled.
No, a scratch pool isn't configured.
Yes, the requested volume pool(INFO-4) has tapes.
Yes, the requested volume pool(INFO-4) has tapes whose density matches the requested storage unit's density(INFO-2).
Yes, the tapes from the requested volume pool(INFO-4) with matching density are loaded into the requested storage unit's library (INFO-3).
No there isn't an available tape in the requested volume pool(INFO-4) which meets the previous criteria.
Media is full (that's the problem).

I read http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO50870. There are no additional slots for more tapes. Apparently this has worked for 2 years without a problem. Unfortunately, when I got to the part (see below in bold), I was unable to follow along since I don't have the debug folder on my machine.
Examine the bptm debug log to verify that bptm connects to the correct system. If an error is logged, examine the vmd log.
On Windows, the vmd log is:
install_path\Volmgr\debug\daemon\xxxxxx.log

I believe some other questions to ask are: Why did this all of a sudden stop working? If someone changed something, is there a place that NBU keeps track of it?

Please let me know if I missed something to add. Thanks!

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Apologies - All of us have missed your post....

Thanks for detailed info.

We can see that your policies are calling for pool name On_Site_Data pool, but that all the tapes in this pool are FULL.

It may have worked until now, but data sizes have probably increased or maybe retention levels?

You have lots of AVAILABLE tapes in other pools.
Why not create a Scratch Pool and move all AVAILABLE tapes (tapes with no Assign Time) to the Scratch pool?
So, when backups cannot find media in the required pool, it will draw from Scratch. Do this for all tapes as and when they expire. Do this once for each tape.

From there on, tapes will go back to Scratch when they expire.

Further more - keep an eye on 'Tape Summary' report (with Verbose option). 
This will help you to know when media will expire and become available again.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
Andy Welburn's picture

Indeed!

You have lots of AVAILABLE tapes in other pools.
Why not create a Scratch Pool and move all AVAILABLE tapes (tapes with no Assign Time) to the Scratch pool?
So, when backups cannot find media in the required pool, it will draw from Scratch. Do this for all tapes as and when they expire. Do this once for each tape.

I would recommend this without a doubt....

....but you say:

There are no additional slots for more tapes.

if this *is* the case then you're going to have to start removing your FULL media from your library to make space for 'available' media (whether it be your 'new' Scratch volume pool media or whatever)

....but hopefully you've subsequently come to the same conclusion(s) yourself!

wmborelli's picture

It may have worked until now, but data sizes have probably increased or maybe retention levels?

This was the biggest problem, one of the directories was getting filled up with garbage and it didn't need to be backed up.

As for the AVAILABLE tapes, they weren't really available, those are tapes that are swapped out for off site backup procedures.

Thanks for the response!

Indeed!

Not a problem. Thanks :)

Marianne's picture

Have you managed to resolve the status 96 issue?

Seems you have some of the "offsite" tapes in the "onsite" tape library that could possibly be changed to "onsite" pool?

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links