Video Screencast Help

Netbackup 7.1 + Netapp filer FAS2040 + HP MSL 2024 SCSI Tape Library

Created: 20 Feb 2013 • Updated: 07 Apr 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I'm trying to setup backups for the Netapp Filer FAS2040 using a HP MSL 2024 SCSI Tape Library. This is a brand new setup.

The details are as follows.

Master Backup Server - DellR610

OS - Win 2008 R2

Tape Library - MSL 2024 tape Library with 1 HP MSL LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SCSI Drive

Filer - Netapp filer FAS2040 with FC Connectivity.

I'm trying to connect the Tape Library to the Filer, but not sure what component can be used as the Library is a SCSI whereas the filer is a FC.

Please see the attached photo for better understanding of what I'm trying to achieve.

I would appreciate if some one can help me out with this or point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Tosh

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

According to the link below the MSL2024  has 1 fibre channel interface

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/1216...

If you don't have a SAN switch you may need the HP StorageWorks SAN router :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/D...

Under all circumstance I think you will need a SAN hba on the media server as well. SCSI cables don't work very well becuase of the limited lenth. LVD SCSI is only 6 meters where as FC go 500M.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

SOLUTION
toshb's picture

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for the Information. So in short, we cannot use a SCSI Tape Library to connect to the Netapp filer with FC interface.

The HP MSL Tape Library has been purchased with a SCSI Tape Drive, so as per your suggestion, I will have to get the SCSI Tape Drive Replaced with a FC Tape drive then get it connected to a SAN switch to implement the backup solution.

Many Thanks.

Tosh

teiva-boy's picture

Ideally you have an FC interface on your library, perhaps there is a module you can buy to replace the SCSI module?

Alternatively you can buy a SCSI to FC bridge from crossroads or atto.  

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

It seems like SSO configuration. So,

• You need to add SCSI HBA to FAS2040. But I'm not sure NetApp provides such option today.And make sure that both your existing server and NetApp must support multi-initiator configuration in this case.
  • As tiva-boy suggested, buy a SCSI to FC bridge, and connect all the hosts and the bridge via SAN.
  • Replace MSL2024 SCSI with some FC tape library, and connect all the hosts and the library via SAN.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan

toshb's picture

Hello All,

We have decided to get the SCSI tape library replaced with a FC tape library, as we weren't sure if there are any components which can be connected between the SCSI library and the FC Filer, although i did find some Bridges and Routers for the SCSI - Fibre Connectivity, we didn't want to take a risk as this will be a brand new setup.

Thank you all for the helpyes

Tosh

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

I think this is best if you have enough badget to replace with new FC tape library.

Please mark most helpful comment as solution.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan