NetBackup 7.5 & VMware BLIB
Although I know that there is a lot of information about BLIB out there, I've had some conflicting advice from people at Symantec and I've found myself feeling unsure about certain facts regarding it. Apologies if this is covering old ground, but I've got a handful of quick questions that I'd like to confirm before I look into implementing it in our environment (NBU 22.214.171.124).
- Am I right in thinking that changed block tracking does need to be enabled on the VM as well as BLIB in the policy, and that enabling it on the VM requires it to be powered off?
- If BLIB is enabled, can I still do normal granular file restores from my VMware backups if I'm doing a mapped backup/"file recovery from VM backup" is ticked?
- Will BLIB enable me to do incremental restores to a VM without requiring the NetBackup client and a network connection?
- I've read that a full backup of a VM with BLIB enabled only backs up blocks that have changed since the .vmdk file was created - does this have consequences when restoring the entire VM?
- What are the version requirements on the VMware side of things when using BLIB in NBU 7.5?
Thanks in advance.