Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Netbackup 7.5.0.1 TMG running in VMWare Application State Capture Failure

Created: 06 Jul 2012 | 6 comments

I am running Netbackup 7.5.0.1 and I am trying to backup a Microsoft TMG server that is running on VMWare ESXi.

Application state fails

Snapshot succeeds

Backup succeeds

The backup policy is setup using a query against ESXi to grab all the hostnames and it has a 12 hour window

I can't seem to figure out why the application state is failing, the hosts can talk just fine. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Larry C

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Yogesh9881's picture

Was it work before or it is new implementation ?

Kindly run below command on master & post o/p.

<install_path>\prog files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>bppllist <policy_name> -L

If this post has helped you, please vote or mark as solution.

Before break-up, make sure you have a good backup.....  ;-)

Omar Villa's picture

What type of application you are trying to backup? Exchange, SQL or SharePoint?

Omar Villa

Netbackup Expert

Twiter: @omarvillaNBU

captain jack sparrow's picture

omar i gues OP mentioned it.. it's MS TMG (forefront threat management gateway)

@ lary we need more granular detail for troubleshooting. could you please tell us how policy is created and how is infra between NBU and ESXi

Cheers !!!

CJS

Larry Charb's picture

It works for all the other virtual machines that we backup off the farm.

I think we got it narrowed down to the TMG server blocking the incoming connections from netbackup. It appears that netbackup can't get into the server to get the Application state of the MSSQL express database and so it fails, but it can get into ESXi to get the VMDK so the snapshot and the backup succeed. 

We are now just working on getting the proper ports opened between the TMG and netbackup

CMDubya's picture

Charb were you able to conf TMG to allow the necessary NBU ports? Curious to see steps how you did it. I too am having an issue with NBU communication being blocked by TMG.

bobv's picture

> I am running Netbackup 7.5.0.1 and I am trying to backup a Microsoft TMG server that is
> running on VMWare ESXi.
>
> Application state fails [...]

Are you backing up a VM using a VMware policy with the VMware tab "Application Protection" options set?

If so, and "TMG" isn't one of those three apps (Exchange, MSSQL or SharePoint) I believe you will get a status 47 in the "Application State Capture"

If none of those options are checked, there won't be an Application State Capture job in the first place.