Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

NetBackup 7505 Java GUI suddenly stops working

Created: 16 Jul 2013 • Updated: 20 Jul 2014 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

A week ago, I changed my Windows 7 desktop theme and lost all my master servers listed in the java GUI.  I recreated the list manually, but it appeared that the GUI stopped reading my _vrts_nbe_NBELoginLists_vrts-nbe-AdminConsole_prefs.properties file.  This was not a problem until this weekend when the GUI wouldn't let me type my username in lower case.  Since our masters are Linux, I am unable to logon to them from my desktop.  Another coworker is reporting the same behavior starting this weekend also.  I suspected a Windows update to be at fault, but can't find evidence that one has been installed.  Has anyone seen this behavior?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Dyneshia's picture

What version of NBU is the master server running ?

watsons's picture

I wonder how changing a desktop theme can cause a loss of config files in Java GUI.. that sound scary!

I don't think there is a way to get the list back, unless you keep another copy somewhere else. (assume it's not in recycle bin)

Anyway, have you tried reinstall the Java GUI? If you suspect a recent Windows update, you can always check the "Windows Update History" to see which one it is, could be many though. 

TimWillingham's picture

I did reinstall to no effect.

This file still exists, but the GUI does not read it.

I could not find any Windows Updates (which was my first suspicion).

watsons's picture

There might be a workaround using this technote (it's for a 6.5.x though), look into the typing case sensitivity: 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73856

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205610 (about the cache list)

SOLUTION
TimWillingham's picture

Turns out if you start typing in the middle of the UPPERCASE username, it will accept lowercase characters.  Then  you can delete the remaining UPPERCASE characters and login.  If you just wipe out the username, it only echos UPPERCASE characters back to you.

So we have a workaround for now.  2 other coworkers began having the same problem at the same time, so I still suspect an update, but am thinking maybe it was a Java update instead of Windows.