Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

NetBackup 7.5.0.7 (NetBackup 7.5 Maintenance Release 7) is now available!

Created: 16 Dec 2013 • Updated: 08 May 2014 | 15 comments
CRZ's picture

(This is a crosspost from the Netting Out NetBackup blog)

I'm very pleased to announce that the FINAL Maintenance Release for NetBackup 7.5 is now available!

NetBackup 7.5.0.7 is the seventh (and currently planned to be last) maintenance release for NetBackup 7.5.  It is a cumulative release containing fixes and content from 7.5.0.1 through 7.5.0.6. In addition, this release contains over 400 additional fixes (bringing the total fixes in 7.5.0.7 to well over 2000!) including the most commonly downloaded EEBs, several customer escalations, and internal engineering defects.

NetBackup 7.5.0.7 includes the following proliferations and enhancements:

• VDDK 5.1 U1
  • JRE 7 Update 25

To download 7.5.0.7, please visit the following page:

NetBackup 7.5.0.7 Download Links
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH209024

This is a MAINTENANCE Release for NetBackup (as opposed to a Release Update) - it can ONLY be applied on top of NetBackup 7.5.  (If you are currently running 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, or 7.1.0.x, you will need to upgrade to 7.5 before you can apply 7.5.0.7.)

Please note that maintenance releases are CUMULATIVE - that means that 7.5.0.7 contains all product fixes included in 7.5.0.1, 7.5.0.2, 7.5.0.3, 7.5.0.4, 7.5.0.5 AND 7.5.0.6.  If you are currently running NetBackup 7.5, you may apply the 7.5.0.7 maintenanace release without installing 7.5.0.1, 7.5.0.3, 7.5.0.4, 7.5.0.5 or 7.5.0.6.  In fact, if you are still running NetBackup 7.5, we would HIGHLY encourage applying 7.5.0.7!

To check to see if your particular Etrack is resolved in NetBackup 7.5.0.7, please refer to these Release Notes:

NetBackup 7.5.0.7 Release Notes
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC6695

The NetBackup 7.5 Late Breaking News has also been updated to reflect newly released fixes in 7.5.0.7 for some of our highest visibility issues:

NetBackup 7.5 Late Breaking News
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH178334

Note: Some of the fixes and  functionality that were introduced in NetBackup 7.5.0.7 are not present in the NetBackup 7.6 GA release. Please review the recommended upgrade paths that are outlined in the following article to ensure that you do not lose any fixes or functionality when upgrading:

About upgrade paths to the NetBackup 7.6 line of releases
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH210461

Operating Systems:

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

As noted in Release Notes, once you have upgraded to NetBackup 7.5.0.7, you need to wait until 7.6 maintenance release is released to upgrade to 7.6 later.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan

CRZ's picture

That's not EXACTLY what it says :) but we do want you to be mindful that when you apply 7.5.0.7, you are adding some fixes that didn't make it into the 7.6 GA release, so you may want to wait and be sure that the 7.6.0.x maintenance release containing YOUR particular 7.5.0.7 fix is out before you jump to the 7.6.0.x line.  Definitely scan through this section on pages 10-11 of the Release Notes!  We're all hovering around Connect if you have any more questions.

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

Stanleyj's picture

Chris,

Can i uninstall 7.5.0.7 and then move to 7.6.0.1?  Because i upgraded to 7.5.0.7 about 2 hours before i recieved an email letting me know 7.6 was available yesterday.  I havent even upgraded my clients yet.

Deb Wilmot's picture

Hi Stanleyj,

No - just follow the standard upgrade procedures.  There is no need to uninstall 7.5.0.7 (if unix though you may need to uninstall the packages).

Please refer to the installation and upgrade guide for details.

Deb

Deb Wilmot's picture

In reply to Yasuhisa Ishikawa 's comment..

"As noted in Release Notes, once you have upgraded to NetBackup 7.5.0.7, you need to wait until 7.6 maintenance release is released to upgrade to 7.6 later."

Engineering has released 7.6.0.1 as the 'GA' version.  The FA version is 7.6.  Customers should be applying 7.6.0.1 (this is a complete release).

Note that 7.5.0.7 has some fixes that are not available in 7.6.0.1, you may want to wait to install the 7.6.x version until the first patch is released (7.6.0.2).  Possibly this is where a bit of the confusion is coming in.

7.6 documentation is available at:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488

Stanleyj's picture

Thank you guys for trying to clarifly this for me but the below comment worries me a little.

"If your plan is to upgrade to NetBackup 7.6 GA within the first half of the calendar year 2014, then symantec recommends that you do not install the NetBackup 7.5.0.7 maintenance release."

Is the above statement only because i will lose some of the bug fixes that are 7.5.0.7 once i go to 7.6.0.1?

Deb Wilmot's picture

Yes - that is correct.  You will be susceptible to many defects that are fixed in 7.5.0.7 (like taking a step backwards).  The perception  is that customers apply 7.5.0.7 because they need something in that patch and that fix may not be in 7.6.0.1.

For those that are wondering what this is about - below is the full paragraph from the release notes: 

Installing or Upgrading from NetBackup 7.5.0.7

If you do not plan to upgrade your NetBackup 7.5 environment to version 7.6 within the first half of calendar year 2014, Symantec recommends that you install the 7.5.0.7 maintenance release to ensure that your environment has the latest bug fixes and compatibility features.

If your plan is to upgrade to NetBackup 7.6 GA within the first half of calendar year 2014, then Symantec recommends that you do not install the NetBackup 7.5.0.7maintenance release.

Stanleyj's picture

Thanks buddy.  Now i understand.  Im not even sure what "fixes" i would be losing.  Oh well.  I will definetly wait until after the holidays before attempting this.  Thanks again.

CRZ's picture

Keep in mind that even now there are already several EEBs available for 7.6 which take care of issues fixed in 7.5.0.7 which didn't get fixed in 7.6.  It's all going to depend on your experience and environment - only you know what's going to personally affect YOU, so plan your upgrade strategy accordingly!

Here's the first time (but not the last!) I'll strongly suggest subscribing to the 7.6 Late Breaking News to stay on top of it all:

7.6 Late Breaking News
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH199999

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

inn_kam's picture

i am using 7.5.0.4

will i upgrade it to 7.5.0.7 or to 7.6?

Marianne's picture

The choice is 100% yours!

We cannot make that decision for you.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Marianne's picture

Well, if that is what you are downloading, I guess that is what you will install! indecision

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links