Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

netbackup API on windows 2003

Created: 13 Oct 2012 • Updated: 30 Nov 2012 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi experts

we had a test backup yesterday for migration activity. it is cold DB backup on windows 2003. DB was detached from SQL server and it was offline.we had to backup DB.mdf file as a flat file then restore it to another server. file size 450GB backup . .ldf n other files were 60 GB approx backup. so when i backed up .ldf and other small file got a speed of 39529 KB\sec. when backup started on DB.mdf file it failed stating :Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

found out in window logs :The backup program has tried to back up a file whose size is larger than the backup API can access on that version of the operating system (WINDOWS 2003). This has the same result (that is, the paged pool is exhausted).

then i used a technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155632

made changes in registry:

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ PoolUsageMaximum (60)- (Decimal)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ PagedPoolSize (FFFFFFFF) -( Hexadecimal)

increased client's fileread time out period to 14400, file list time out 14400.system rebooted backup started again. 

backup strted at 5800kb\sec but throughtput decreased gradually to 4000KB\sec. drastic dcrease in backup timing.data saved on data domain box ,it gives very good speed.

so question is : how much the ‘backup API’ can access on Windows 2003 OS (for the single file size) ???

is it ok or good practive to backup a single file of 450GB ??

note: when we backedup same database using NBU SQL agent it was done in 6.5 hrs but customer insist  on only cold db will be migrated.

plz give ur valuable thoughts..

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

I'm not sure, but reading MS doc I think it depends on amount of free paged pool - no fixed value.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101/en-us

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan

SOLUTION