Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Netbackup java console 7.0.1 hung

Created: 28 Dec 2012 | 5 comments

Hi ,

Could any one please help. I have upgraded master server from 6.5.3 to 7.0 latter to 7.0.1

For administering backup i have installed java console 7.0.1 on one of the window server. But when ever i open java console getting hung cant even close the console.

i have checked setconf  int mem and max mem are ok. aut.conf also checked on Master server and have righ permission.

Master server is linux platform and sitting on DMZ,

Note: The other master server in the DMZ is able to administer using the same java console, that too in linux platform

Could any one find a solution for this?

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

mph999's picture

OK, so the Java console you have install on the windows server will work with one master serevr, but will hang if you try and administrate the other ?

Tthe windows server that you have the Java console installed on, is this the master server itself ?

If you enable bprd log on the master server (the one that causes the Java console to hang) what do you get when you try to log in.

Do this :

Add VERBOSE = 5 to bp.conf 

Create /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bprd

Stop/ start NBU

>/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bprd/log.<date>  (where <date> is todays date)

Look in log ....

Martin

Regards,  Martin

Setting Logs in NetBackup:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

RamNagalla's picture

hi 

1) as your are in the phase of upgrade i would recommend you to go with 7.5.0.4 or atlease 7.1.0.4,  they have fixes for lot of other bugs even.

read the release notes of those to get more info.

2) comming to the current issue..

as your saying its in DMZ. could you make sure that the ports are open between your windows sever(where java installed) to the master server.?

Java/Windows admin consoles to master and media servers requires the TCP ports for vnetd/13724 and PBX/1556, bi-directional.

NetBackup 7.0.1 Considerations

The bpcd and vnetd processes now run standalone.  They and the other legacy processes now register with PBX at startup.  Connections to legacy processes that previously contacted the vnetd port will now prefer to use PBX port 1556.  If the PBX port is unreachable, then the vnetd port will be used.  If the vnetd port is unreachable, then the daemon port will be used.  Opening TCP port 1556 outbound from NetBackup servers to NetBackup clients will prevent delays that occur while attempting to use PBX.  Similarly, opening TCP port 1556 inbound will prevent delays for client-initiated requests to the master server. 

Note that the Java console to master server uses the vnetd port for connection to bpjobd and the PBX port for all other connections. 

For efficiency the upgrade/install also adds Connect Options of '1 0 2' for localhost.  Internal sockets on the loopback interface to processes on the same host will use the daemon ports instead of passing through vnetd or PBX

hope this helps.

Manumohan's picture

Hi Nagalla,

I am able to telnet BPX, VNETD ports from local host to Master server.

Note:

1. i am able to loging to master server using the java console 7.0.1 but once its logged in console getting hung cant do any thing even cant close the console.

2. I have two master server sitting in the DMZ , i have problem with one of them the other server i am able to administer backup etc.. using the same java console 7.0.1.

3. I'm thinking some thing we need to check on Master server..

Please suggest..

Marianne's picture

Have you also tried to telnet from master back to the desktop? 
Master server probably unable to connect back?

Please create Java logs on the master server to troubleshoot:

bpjava-msvc
bpjava-susvc

See this TN for troubleshooting tips: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154433

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

Are there any difference between these masters including OS configuration?
Language and locale setting is same?

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan