NetBackup upgrade options - deciding a plan of attack
I am planning out the upgrade of NetBackup from 6.5.6 to 188.8.131.52. I have several options to consider for this upgrade and I wanted to open the floor to the experts (I've been a forum reader/viewer for a couple of years now).
Here are a few of my current environment details:
Master/Media hybrid server: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 (32-bit)
Master server is currently physical with 10GB of RAM
Considerations during the upgrade:
- I am considering moving the Master server over to a virtual machine. My thought on this is that it will separate the current Master/Media hybrid into two entities and free up resources for the Media server, which could be used for piping data to storage targets (currently disk and tape). I have done some light reading on this topic and it seems very doable, but I wanted to hear from anyone who successfully split an existing Master/Media into two servers.
- I am also considering upgrading the operating system of the Master and/or Media server to 64-bit Windows Server 2008. I am aware of the increase in addressable memory, but 2003 seems to already be able to see all 10GB of my RAM. Any other key benefits of upgrading now as opposed to waiting (benefits specific to NetBackup performance, etc.)?
I am getting a bit confused on how my action plan will change if I decide to incorporate one or both of the considerations above. I have been following the 7.X Upgrade Portal as well as the SORT checklist, but all of the extra options (above) are proving to be more daunting than I expected.
This is getting to be much "wordier" than I would like, so to summarize my request: I am going to upgrade NetBackup from 6.5.6 to 184.108.40.206 (to get back into Support!!). While I'm upgrading, I could split the Master server off into its own VM. I could also upgrade the NetBackup servers from 32-bit OS up to 64-bit OS. If I decide to do either of these, how will that affect my upgrade?