New Release: Veritas Operations Manager (VOM) 3.1
To Review and download this version please go to this site: http://go.symantec.com/vom
To download manuals or get general support inforamtion about this product, please visit this site: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=58796
As part of this release, we are delivering:
- Central Management Server on Solaris and Linux
- Managed Hosts for Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86, Redhat Linux, Linux on pSeries, HP 11.11, HP 11.23, HP 11.31, Windows, AIX which support all SFHA versions from 4.0+ (Including supporting HP 3.5 read-only)
- Storage Templates & Volume Migration Add-on
- Unix Active Management Add-on
- Windows Active Management Add-on
- Storage Insight Addon for Symmetrix, Hitachi and XIV
- Thin Provisioning Reclamation Add-on
SF HA Functionality
HA DR Fire Drill
Fire drill functionality facilitates the users in ensuring that the infrastructure is ready when a critical event occurs that requires failing over of the mission critical applications thus ensuring minimal downtime.
High availability Fire Drill (HA FD) checks for any discrepancies in underlying infrastructure on various nodes involved in the cluster with respect to initial VCS configuration settings. Successful HA fire drill indicates that the service group has a greater chance to successfully failover to another node within the cluster
Disaster Recovery Fire Drill (DR FD) allows the user to verify that data replication is correctly working and the secondary site for DR is ready and can be successfully brought online in the case of a site-wide disaster.
Application HA Support
VOM 3.1 provides enhanced monitoring, administration and reporting capabilities for the applications running on Virtual Machines that have ApplicationHA configured. These includes Enabling/Disabling of Application Heartbeat, Start/Stop of Apps across Virtual Machines in a single operation
Automatic File System Growth
This feature enables administrators to set thresholds for monitoring the file system usage and plan preventive measures to avoid file system failures. Adequate alerts are generated if the current usage exceeds these threshold levels. The rule framework will automatically increase the size of the file system by user defined percentage when the file system usage exceeds high usage risk value. This prevents the file system from faulting with little or no administrative overhead on threshold monitoring and management.
Failover Summary: Shows the failover data of selected clusters.
Thin Pool: Shows usage details of Thin Pools in the environment.
Patch report:Patch report presents consolidated information about patches applicable to hosts in the datacenter
License and Entitlement Reporting
Licenses dashboard is improved to get quick and better understanding of license deployment summary.
- License views can be scoped for selected business entity.
- Along with SF and SF/HA, VOM now discovers additional licenses like Application HA, DMP standalone, CC-Storage.
- For windows Managed Host, along with OS Tier, VOM also discovers CPU tier.
- License life cycle report that displays information like the date and time at which a license is installed, detected, and removed from the host has been added
- Feature tracking information has been added to help understand which feature was used on the host, when was it used last and how many times it was used.
This feature enables users to deploy various kinds of solution in the VOM environment. The following enhancements have been made to this feature in VOM 3.1
- Merge the “Add-on Management” and “Package Management” page into a single page called “Deployment Management”
- Categorization of solutions as Add-on, Package, Patch and Hot Fix
- Show only the list of applicable hosts or only hosts where the solution can actually be installed for any solution.
- Show whether an add-on is not applicable for any the current VOM environment or a higher version of the for the same is present in the store
Extended Attributes are attributes defined by the user, in addition to the existing attributes discovered by VOM. These allow the user to add user specific values/descriptions to objects.
Business Entity Enhancements
The 3.1 release introduces two types of business entities: application business entities, and organization business entities.
Application business entities are the same as the business entities that were supported in version 3.0. You can use application business entities to group different objects within any application in your organization for the purpose of monitoring. Application business entities are more resource intensive, and so, they should be limited to less than 100 base objects.
Organization business entities are a group of logically associated hosts (for example, by Admin, by Team, by Datacenter or Lab). Organization business entities are less resource intensive, and can include thousands of base hosts. You can use both the types of business entities to define security groups, and to scope reports and operations.
Storage Insight is an add-on that adds capabilities into VOM3.1 to provide deep visibility into storage enclosures. It has ability to configure and discover objects such as physical disks, raid groups/storage pools, devices/LDEVs from these enclosures. It also has capabilities to discover objects related to various technologies such as mirroring (local/remote, snapshot, replication) , thin provisioning implemented by various vendors within storage enclosure. These discovered objects are well integrated into existing VOM functionality. In this release storage enclosures from 3 different vendor’s viz. EMC Symmetrix, HITACHI and IBM XIV are supported.
Thin Provisioning Reclamation Add-on -Allows simple configuration of recurring reclamation processes from a Storage, Application, or Host perspective. Once configured, it will automate thin storage reclamation utilizing the Veritas Storage Foundation to keep your storage efficiently thin.