nic driver issue when performing BMR restore for a Windows 2008 R2 client
Created: 04 Feb 2013 | 1 comment
I'm unable to perform BMR restore on a Win2008R2 client.
When I kicked off a BMR restore job for a Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) machine, the client did boot up using the bundled WinPE but wasn't able to start the network services with the following error msg: "No Network Interfaces found".
Details of my config:
Netbackup Master (incl. Boot server): Windows 2008 R2 on a physical machine
Netbackup version: 7.5.1
Client to be restored: HP BL 460c G7 using HP NC553i Dual Port Flex Fabric 10Gb installed with the same OS edition as the master server.
Based on this article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH181674
1. Windows 2008 R2 is listed as one of the supported OS for BMR Client
2. WinPE that is bundled with Netbackup 7.5 is WinPE 2.1 which is equal to Windows 2008. Hence I need Windows 2008 driver for the HP NC553i.
3. When executing BMR's "prepare to restore", NetBackup should be smart enough to pick the best driver for the bundled WinPE.
4. I've added the Windows 2008 version of the NIC into BMRDB via Driver Package Wizard.
My finding so far:
1. Netbackup BMR automatically grabbed the NIC driver from the client during backup process and added that driver to the "devices and drivers" section of the BMR client configuration as an OEM driver. Note that this is a Windows 2008 R2 NIC driver that is NOT compatible with WinPE 2.1.
2. The Windows 2008 version of the NIC driver was already listed on the BMR Management > Resources > Packages section. My expectation was that Netbackup should be smart enough to be able to pickup the Win 2008 version of the NIC as the best driver when I kicked off the "prepare to restore" process. However it picked the Win2008R2 version. I verified this by opening the wim of the SRT and extract: BmrWinPeDrivers.xml. That file said that the OS level of the NIC driver was 6.1 (which is equal to Win2008 R2).
3. I tried to manually force the Win2008 driver to be chosen by creating a copy of the 'current' config and changed the driver on the "devices and Drivers section. However this section only list the driver that is a match to the client's OS which is Win2008R2. Hence I can't add the Win2008 driver.
I've seen similar post on the forum but so far none of the suggestion works. Appreciate if somebody could shed some light on this matter. Cheers