Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 04, 2009 10:54 AM
    I'm having issues running jobs as the console user on 2008 servers running on physical HP BL 465 G5 and DL 585 G5's.

The reason I am running jobs as the console user is the post domain jobs run multiple vbs scripts. I was having a lot of issues pushing vbs/calling cmd files so I started running the jobs as the console user.

Before a server joins the domain and reboots, I added the following script:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoAdminLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultUserName /t REG_SZ /d username /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultPassword /t REG_SZ /d password /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultDomainName /t REG_SZ /d domain /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v ForceAutoLogon /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoLogonCount /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

This works great on 2008/DAgent/Virtual, all the jobs run successfully. On the physical machines, I get an error saying "No Console User Logged In" for the first job that runs as the console user. I've verified the domain user is logged into the console when the error appears. If I retry the task, the job will start and run successfully.

I'm wondering if this is due to the physical machines taking longer to log in than a VM? The phyical machines are HP BL465's and HP DL 585's.

The only work around I can think is to add a failure code to select the same job again to ensure it runs. I'd prefer to find a fix though.

The DAgent on HP RDP is 6.9.355 which I do not believe is the latest and greatest.

Cheers
    cp

• 2.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 04, 2009 11:05 AM
    What about setting your jobs to run as a specified user instead?  I assume you have the scripts set to "run script in console user session".  Can you run the job as "Specific user"?

Otherwise, another option might be to add a Power Control Restart job in there.  In my experience, it will check back in after a reboot and typically waits 10-15 seconds before the next task/job is sent.  This may give you the time you need for the auto logon to complete.

• 3.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 04, 2009 11:29 AM
    If I run the job as a specific user (service account with domain admin) the script from Altiris's point of view completes, but it never actually runs on the client.  With the console user logged in, the scripts run successfully.  Unfortunately, it is after the reboot where this job is failing like so:
    job 1 script 1 - add registry entries for auto login
    job 1 script 2 - join domain / reboot
    job 2 script 1 - move ou as console user - fail
    retry task manually and job 2 script 1 will run
    job 3 script 1 - server build script as console user - successful (server has not rebooted yet)
    job 3 script 2 - reboot / server patching script as console user - fails because the server rebooted and altiris does not think the user is logged in to the console when it really is.
    retry task manually and job 3 script script 2 will run.

• 4.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2009 12:08 PM
    What about adding a "Run Script" task that includes "ping -n 30 > nul"

The above would essentially pause or make the computer wait for 30 seconds.  Put this in on your Job 2 prior to your script 1.

• 5.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 04, 2009 12:17 PM
    That's a good idea.  I will try that today and let you know the results.

Cheers
    cp

• 6.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 04, 2009 02:37 PM
    The ping suggestion worked.  All my jobs ran successfully.

Thanks
    cp

• 7.  RE: No Console User Logged in - 2008/DAgent/Physical

Posted Aug 05, 2009 08:13 AM
    Glad I could help.