Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Oct 31, 2006 05:34 PM
    I am trying to image a 120GB hard drive connected to the IDE channel of an Intel DP965LT motherboard. WinXP Pro is installed and the computer is able to boot into the OS. I'm using the onboard LAN and the most recent drivers have been added to Ghost. The ghost client was remotely installed successfully. When the image task is started the computer will reboot into DOS and begin to load the Ghost gui. However, the program does not fully load and the computer locks up.

If I create and use network boot disks to boot the source computer and connect with the Ghostcast server, the Ghost program does load. But trying to start the image session by selecting "Ghostcast...Unicast" results in the following error message "There is no valid Source Drive to choose (11032)".

If the OS drive is instead connected to a Promise Ultra133TX expansion card then drive can be imaged successfully.

Does anyone know why this would occur and whether there is a solution that would allow me image the OS drive when it is connected to the IDE channel on the motherboard?

• 2.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 01, 2006 02:20 AM
    Hi Mario,

What version of Ghost do you use?

Could you provide the Ghosterr.txt file created?

Krish

• 3.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 01, 2006 11:56 AM
    Hello Krish,

The Ghost version is 8.2.0.117.

I've searched the Ghost Console task log for entries about Intel computer. Only one of the failure entries indicates an error log was successfully retrieved. However, when opened the error log is empty.

When using boot disks where is the Ghosterr.txt file saved? I've checked the boot floppies and the hard drive of the source computer, but have not found the file. Will the error log be saved if the source drive is NTFS?

Mario

• 4.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 02, 2006 02:10 AM
    Hi Mario,

Ghosterr.txt is created in the current directory. If you couldn't find it, probably it did not create a one.

Could you run Ghost.exe from floppy and press Ctrl+C? This will generate a error file which will contain debug information.

This motherboard seems to be a very new one, I think it only has one IDE port. Do you have any SATA disk drives connected? Could you try disabling SATA controller if possible?.

Krish

• 5.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 14, 2006 01:18 PM
    Hello Krish,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I did run ghost from a floppy in the attempt to start a ghost casting session, and pressed Ctrl-C. The resulting file is included at the end of this post.

This is a new motherboard with only one IDE port. I don't have any SATA drives connected at the moment. I check the BIOS and could not find a setting to disable SATA. There is a choice to configure SATA as IDE or AHCI. I've tried both without success, the default is IDE.

An email from Laura Harris at Symantec suggested disabling "USB Emulation". I couldn't find a setting for that, so I just disabled the USB ports. I still get the no source drive error while trying to ghost.

Mario

Ghosterr.txt file
    Date : Tue Nov 14 08:47:03 2006
    Error Number: (36002)
    Version: 8.2.0.1117 (Aug 26 2004, Build=1117)
    OS Version: DOS v7.10
    Command line arguments: -FNI
    Active Switches :
    AutoName
    PathName :
    DumpFile :
    DumpPos : 0
    FlagImplode : 0
    FlagExplode : 0

Operation Details :
    Total size.........0
    MB copied..........0
    MB remaining.......0
    Percent complete...0%
    Speed..............0MB/min
    Time elapsed.......0:00
    Time remaining.....0:00

Program Call Stack
    AbortLog
    Generic_Abort
    userInterrupt
    PaintSelectMode
    sub_main
    main

Call Stack
    0x00303605
    0x0005a21a
    0x000593e1
    0x00058c69
    0x0005a969
    0x0000632b
    0x0009ea66
    0x00006358
    0x00015233
    0x00004a87
    0x00003f1f
    0x00310948
    End Call Stack

Start heap available: 2140504064
    Cur heap available: 2140241920
    Total Memory: 2146402304

Conventional Memory
    Inital Conventional Memory Size = 344048
    Current Conventional Memory Size = 305696
    Allocated
    1024 DpmiDjgpp.cpp:56
    33504 ghost.cpp:1268
    528 IdeDmaServerPci.cpp:127
    Free
    32 MsdosFile.cpp:165
    512 DiskDriveAccessInt13.cpp:176

Fat details:

NTFS details:
    ----------------

NTFS Global Flags:
    ----------------
    contiguousWrite=1 forceDiskClusterMapping=0
    inhibitCHKDSK=1 ignoreBadLog=0 ignoreCHKDSKBit=0
    enable_cache=0 xfrbuflen=0
    last_attr_type = 0
    loadExact = 0
    ----------------

Disk Info :
    remote.............0
    drive..............0
    sectors_used.......0
    estimated_used.....0
    pemax..............0
    Version............0

# Ord Boot Id Ext First Num Last Used NTFS

Disk Info :
    remote.............0
    drive..............0
    sectors_used.......0
    estimated_used.....0
    pemax..............0
    Version............0

# Ord Boot Id Ext First Num Last Used NTFS

Fixed Drives

Floppy Drives

Drive 0
    Int 13h (Active)
    Total Sectors 2880
    Bytes per Sector 512
    MB 1
    Cylinders 80
    Heads 2
    Sectors per Track 18
    Successful IO Count 1

Remote Drives
    AsyncIo : 0
    Image Devices

Key A:
    Path A:
    Desc A:
    Type Floppy

• 6.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 15, 2006 03:04 AM
    Hi Mario,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I just noticed that you use the switch -FNI with Ghost. Is there any reason to use this? It disables the direct IDE access.

What happens if you run Ghost without that switch? Is it possible for you to create an image in a local disk (another disk or a partition image in another partition) to see if this is some thing to do with shared IRQs?

We have seen many situations recently due to the fact that SATA and Netwrok card sharing the same IRQ. However, in those cases it was a SATA disk that was cloned.

Krish

• 7.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 16, 2006 08:16 PM
    Krish,

Intel tech support suggested using the -FNI switch when I contacted them about the ghosting problem. I have not had any success running Ghost without the switch when the source drive is on the IDE channel. Again, Ghost does work when the source drive is attached the Promise Ultra133 card.

I will try a ghosting locally with one drive on the IDE channel and the other on the Promise card.

• 8.  RE: No valid source drive to choose (11032) error

Posted Nov 17, 2006 12:44 PM
    Krish,

I tried ghosting locally with the 120GB source drive attached to the IDE channel and the 160GB target drive attached to the Promise Ultra133TX card. When the Choose Source window appeared only one drive was listed, the one attached to the Promise card.

Another problem appeared while preparing the 160GB drive for use. The 120GB drive was attached to the IDE channel. I used GDISK to partition and format the 160GB drive. When I type GDISK at the command prompt only the 160GB drive was listed. So it seems there are other Symantec apps that are having difficulty recognizing a drive attached the IDE channel on this Intel motherboard.