Symanec Protection Suites

View Only
  • 1.  Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security (Windows 8)

Posted Sep 18, 2012 12:55 PM
    I find your musings amusing, but equally misleading; and I thought Antivirus people were the ones we could trust.

"Symantec sees little improvement in Windows 8 security"

My comment:

Symantec states the obvious, without telling the other side of the coin.
    If Microsoft makes the Perfect OS, there is little for them to do.
    Also for profits sake (success), you want backward compatibility.
    The security feature isn't to discourage virus infection so much as to maintain system files which Windows 8 does better than previous iterations though I believe a reboot is required.

"Norton Software makes Windows 8 up to 50% Faster"

My comment:

"So what they are saying is that despite making windows defender the most efficient that they could, MS engineers are absolutely incompetent.  The balls that Symantec has.  So how do they make it up to 50% faster?  By using the cloud instead of the scan engine, in other words by doing a half-ass job.  The cloud merely marks potentially malicious files; they mark pretty much everything they come across. What a virus engine does, is informs of potential malicious actions associated with program (this actual potential, vs what users think).  It's not even comparable.  Didn't know Symantec was in the business of misinforming users.  You know what I state accounts for 75% of the performance improments and there doesn't need to a sheet that says that; its very good approximation.  It's the only way you could trump MS; even though it is fake.  The cloud is extremely paranoid and there is just a massive proportion of false positives.  So what say you, if I give you 1000 brand new files that I made for your product to scan, do you still stand by your statement that it will be 50% faster or wait up to 50% faster so then 1% faster?  No because since it is not in the cloud, it will have to scan every file, and I'll bet that MS defender will beat you at this.

Security Enthousiast,

Eric

Antivirus companies ought to be people you can trust; don't you agree?

• 2.  RE: Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security (Windows 8)

Posted Sep 26, 2012 10:52 AM

Issues or questions for Norton products should be directed to the Norton community/support site. This is for Symantec enterprise products.

http://community.norton.com/