Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Norton Antivirus Corp Edition 10.1.7 - is it working?

Posted Apr 04, 2011 11:00 PM
    Hi,

I just inherited a disaster of an IT department. I'm reviewing the antivirus protection on the network and it seems in 2006 Norton Antivirus Corp Edition was installed without incident.  Maintenance on the license ended in 2007 but it seems the server has been getting updates all along and pushing those updates out to clients as recently as yesterday.  I checked the risk history log and it is empty.  Is this system actually working?  I'm tempted to say no but there is a fortigate firewall appliance with built-in antivirus capabilities and it's log shows that it has been catching viruses.

Thanks for any help in advance.  

• 2.  RE: Norton Antivirus Corp Edition 10.1.7 - is it working?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 05, 2011 12:06 AM

The system is actually running and downloading new definitions. But since its no more licensed you should not have it. Anyways SAV 10.x has reached end of life.It is no longer supported by symantec.

Migrate your environment to SEP 11.x

• 3.  RE: Norton Antivirus Corp Edition 10.1.7 - is it working?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2011 02:25 AM

In reality SAV 10.x is supported still for more than a year:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=51852

To legally use the product, you will need to renew the license. After that you will have the possibility to download the product updates. Then you can migrate to the newest SAV version (10.1.9.9100) or install SEP 11.x as was suggested by Vikram

• 4.  RE: Norton Antivirus Corp Edition 10.1.7 - is it working?

Posted Apr 05, 2011 04:43 AM

Hi BuefordTJ

(Great movie, BTW)

Double check what product is in place---- "2006 Norton Antivirus" sounds like a consumer product, which does not have any central management technologies and isn't really designed to be installed in offices (just home computers) though I have seen whole companies that have it installed on all of the computers.

Symantec AntiVirus is an Enterprise product, and the advice given above is accurate.  I do recommend migrating to SEP instead as that has built-in firewall, IDS and heuristic technologies to provide more comprehensive defence than just AV alone.

There's no reason why AV updates throughout the office should have just stopped yesterday, though.  At the end of this month, there will no longer be any updates available for SAV 9.  SAV 10 should be fine for another year.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick   

• 5.  RE: Norton Antivirus Corp Edition 10.1.7 - is it working?

Posted Apr 05, 2011 12:46 PM