Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Norton Ghost 12.0 - How Can I Share Backup Status Among More Than One (1) Multi-Boot Partition?

Posted May 07, 2007 04:48 PM
    Norton Ghost 12.0 Question:

Specifically, backups will be taken by more than one system in a multi-boot environment.  Even though backups are taken to a shared drive, only the backups taken by a given system are seen by that system.  Backups taken by any of the other systems are not shown in the "Backup Status" display. 

Note: The "Show Hidden Drives" option is checked. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Norton Ghost 12.0 - How Can I Share Backup Status Among More Than One (1) Multi-Boot Partition?

Posted May 07, 2007 07:55 PM
    Hi,

I might be wrong here but I think you are referring to BESR (backup exec system recovery) line of products, which is also sold under "Norton Backup and Restore" or "Norton Ghost" consumer line. If so this product line is entirely different from Symantec Ghost and you can find its forum under this URL: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=111.

• 3.  RE: Norton Ghost 12.0 - How Can I Share Backup Status Among More Than One (1) Multi-Boot Partition?

Posted May 07, 2007 08:13 PM
    I couldn't find a Norton Ghost 12.0 forum, but the product has only been out for a few days.

In any event, I will be uninstalling it (30 day trial) due to a Richter 10 showstopper.

I just tried my first restore from a backup that I took yesterday, and the app couldn't read the backup.

Bells and whistles are nice, but if the program can't read its own backup, that's unforgivable.

Did anyone even test this program before its release?

Fortunately, it was only a test!

Thank you for your reply.

• 4.  RE: Norton Ghost 12.0 - How Can I Share Backup Status Among More Than One (1) Multi-Boot Partition?

Posted May 08, 2007 12:31 AM
    Although Symantec Ghost team is not directly or indirectly involved in this particular backup product line we have been using it here and there - testing for our own internal purposes etc. We have never found that it will not read its own backups back. It maybe that you had spanned image (eg. your total backup size went over span threshold and image spanned into multiple segments and you have not provided all spanned images in the same folder during restore or something along this line), or perhaps trialware version does not include restore backup functionality (or perhaps includes only limited number of restore). I can assure you that if this simple usecase wasnt working than surely there would be tons of people complaining about it!
    I can also assure you that Symantec cares about quality of the product/brand very much and there is a lot of testing going on for every product that we sell.