Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

• 1.  norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 16, 2009 06:24 AM
    i am running windows vista ultimate on a 64 bit machine.  ghost was initially installed when system was purchased and has run flawlessly.

last week i used liveupdate to check to see for updates.  it tried to download something and failed, destroying the ghost installation in the process.

i have tried to reinstall ghost 14 and it almost gets to the end and fails with the dreaded 1935 error:

Product: Norton Ghost -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {63E949F6-03BC-5C40-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x800736FD. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, assembly name: policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32-policy",version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"

i have tried (based on similar problems and their solutions found thru the google)

purging the .net cace with the fsutil command
    removing latest .net framework and reinstalling as i subsequently add new versions.
    adding visual studio to my system
    adding specific versions of vc80 redistribution.

is anybody else seeing this error?  do you have a good workaround?

i have an open ticket with symantec but we're still back at the turn my firewall and virus off stage....

• 2.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 17, 2009 07:36 AM
    Have you tried turning off the UAC?
    Also, are you running these installs elevated?

It certainly looks like something is stuffed in the 32 bit environment now, but was there any opportunity to run System Restore to take things back to before you ran LiveUpdate?

• 3.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 17, 2009 08:43 AM
    i hadn't but i just turned off uac and ran the installer as an administrator and it failed with the same error: the actual hresult appears to be undocumented.  i found the following description of the problem following links from a google microsoft search:

========================================================

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2004/11/10/255346.aspx
    A 1935 error is one of the most common problems that can prevent a user from being able to install the .NET Framework, J# redistributable package, Visual Studio or any other application that uses the Windows Installer MSIAssembly and MSIAssemblyName tables to install assemblies.

In general, this error means that Windows Installer encountered an error while trying to install assemblies to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) or the Win32 GAC (WinSxS). This error is considered fatal and causes setup to fail and initiate rollback.

If the setup is run in UI mode, the user will see a message box indicating that a 1935 error occurred, and it will list the HRESULT and the Windows Installer component GUID of the assembly that caused the error. If the setup is run in silent mode, the user will see no visible error. In both cases, more detailed information about the error can be found in the Windows Installer verbose log file.

====================================================

i have turned off all security, reinstalled the visual c runtimes as administrator and the error still occurs.  from everything i am reading it would appear that the ghost installer has a manifest that is calling out a very specific version of the .net runtimes and that these runtimes are missing from my system for whatever reason.  this really needs someone from the ghost support team with access to what the internals are to identify a solution.

• 4.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 17, 2009 11:11 AM

on my ghost install cd the cab containts the following manifest file:

manifest.63E949F6_03BC_5C40_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <!-- Copyright © 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation -->
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity type="win32-policy" name="policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50727.42" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
        <dependency>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.41204.256-8.0.50608.0" newVersion="8.0.50727.42"/>

</dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>

</assembly>

now the question is which visual c dll's are missing and where does one get a copy of them and how does one install and register them on the system.  i suspect that they are part of the 2.0 .net framework which vista believes is part of the system and therefore won't let you repair or install over the existing one using the netfx64.exe in the dotnet support directory.

• 5.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 18, 2009 07:08 AM
    I would be inclined to raise a call with support about this, as it seems a pretty fundamental limitation.
    Alternatively, if you are comfortable hacking the install, you could change the manifest to reflect your current versions - as the install will unpack into a local temp folder, perhaps it might be as simple as overwriting the manifest once extracted - when the first install dialog shows up.

• 6.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 31, 2009 11:08 AM
    Not that it helps, but I have the identical problem.  Please post back if you find a solution!

Thanks

• 7.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Aug 31, 2009 11:23 AM
    i talked with tech support a couple of days ago and they said the problem is still being researched.  the ghost install disk comes with the visual c libraries but vista64 won't let you run the installers with the complaint that the given component is already part of vista 64.  however, that the ghost installer fails says this isn't true.  i'm pretty sure there's a lot more to registering something in the side by side cache than simply sticking the libraries/dll's out there.

so right now, its a matter of waiting and waiting. 

i don't know where to find it, but i wonder if installing a legacy version of visual studio might add the needed components.

• 8.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Sep 24, 2009 08:21 AM
    I'm having this same issue, trying to install Ghost 14 on an Ultimate Vista 64 machine.  I had no problem a few months back installing in in Windows 7 64 Ultimate RC 1.  I also have UAC off.  The only other difference (besides the OS) that I can see is I 'may' have not had all my development suites installed on the Windows 7 machine, but they are installed on my Vista machine, like Visual Studio 2008.

• 9.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Sep 24, 2009 08:30 AM
    in the side by side library but didn't do a good job of rolling back the other indicators that would let the .net installers on the ghost install disk do their job.

norton support won't let me submit a problem because there is something wrong with my product key, never mind that its printed on the receipt.

i wonder if the longer term solution isn't to decompile the installer package and fix it.  you would think that someone working on ghost would be able to address this considering its been so long since they had a release.

• 10.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Sep 24, 2009 09:32 AM
    Install the Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 runtimes, then identify the component {63E949F6-03BC-5C40-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E} in the ghost MSI, and stop it installing either via a transform or a direct hack of the MSI (make a copy first).
    Also check the event log for any other error information in case there is more going wrong.

• 11.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Oct 15, 2009 08:28 AM
    so i am still stuck with a non-functioning ghost.

as much as i like ghost i have switched over to using windows backup because i have to have something.  whats most frustrating is that i can't get thru to norton support.  their web site will not take the license key that i have (purchased thru norton online).

does anybody know if there is a ghost 15 in the works?

• 12.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 09:14 AM
    i found a workable solution (at least until i find it doesn't work).  its entirely possible that i have messed up my system but right now i have a working ghost and i have manually done several backups.  i've been able to reboot multiple times.

the essence of the problem is that some microsoft runtime might be missing (based on my ability to run ghost right up to that point where i made the fateful choice to run liveupdate).

i went to the microsoft site and downloaded every possible combination of c++ runtime redistributables for x86 and x64.  since they are named almost identically, on the download i renamed them based on their pedigree so i ended up with:

vcredist_x64.2005.exe
    vcredist_x64.2005.sp1.exe
    vcredist_x64.2008.sp1.exe
    vcredist_x86.2005.exe
    vcredist_x86.2005.sp1.exe
    vcredist_x86.2008.exe
    vcredist_x86.2008.sp1.exe

(while typing this out i realized that i missed vcredist_x64.2008.exe, but it doesn't appear to have impacted anything)

i installed them chronologically (2005, sp, 2008, sp)

i then ran the ghost installer.  it takes a long time and a utility that i have (winpatrol) warns me that i have a new startup program for ghost before i get the 1935 error box.  this time instead of letting it rollback, i used the sysinternals process explorer and killed the msi installer service tree, and then the ghost installer service tree.

this creates a suspended installation with what appears to be a working ghost.  i then started the ghost service, the ghost tray, and the ghost program, registered my product and everything was working.

what i didn't know the 1st time is that msi installer remembers suspended installations and the next time it ran it deleted ghost via the rollback action.

i then reinstalled, did a whole bunch of searching and found out that there are several registry keys that facilitate this.  i tried using the windows installer cleanup program msicuu2.exe but it needs to get installed and when you do that it deletes the suspended ghost.

i then reinstalled one more time and with the usual caveats that mistakes made with regedit can destroy life as we know went to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

i found two keys that i deleted.  one called InProgress, the other called Rollback.  I had found several references about InProgress and did rollback because it pointed to a temp file and getting rolledback was what was killing ghost.

having done this i was able to install the microsoft cleanup utitlity without a complaint and ghost still works.

so, what this is a total hack but right now it appears to be working for me.  now i can wait for ghost 15 and still have a backup solution.   all the usual warnings apply if you use this to find your own solution.

• 13.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Oct 20, 2009 04:59 AM

Enable verbose MSI logging in the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
    "Logging"="voicewarmup"

Clean the temp folder of any existing content.

Then install your Ghost program until you get the error message, and look in the temp folder for the log file produced.
    By examining the log, it should be possible to determine which MSI install action is causing the 1935 error.
    At this point, it should be possible to edit the MSI and disable this action to see if that solves the error without preventing Ghost from working.

I'm amazed it's taking so long for Symantec to solve this issue, as any competent MSI packager should be able to diagnose the cause within a few minutes from the logfile, and if they can't duplicate the error in house, certainly they could get the log from any of the affected users who have logged calls.

• 14.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Nov 10, 2009 09:15 PM

I have called a tech--In India -- who did not have the answer but said A "supervisor" would call me in 24 hours. So far no call. This problem keeps me from using Ghost and I believe the money should be refunded if Norton/Symantec cannot get fest fix. How about all of us asking for our money back -- maybe that will speed up the process. You can call Norton by using the "Budines" option under support. ---Guy Watson   drguy0@gmail;.com

• 15.  RE: norton ghost 14 installation fails with error 1935

Posted Nov 10, 2009 09:45 PM
    How do I get this "patch" =-----
    Yeah, I had the same problem. So just for anyone else out there ... the only way it seems to get it fixed at the moment is as described by dtrevan. That is you need to run a chat with Norton Support who will remote into your PC, download a 320Mb patched version of the Ghost 14 (14.0.3) SRD iso, burn it to a blank CD if you have one and install it for you. Depending on your broadband connection it takes a couple of hours. As this seems to be a known issue impacting a number of customers I'm not quite sure why they don't post the solution and any required downloads on their support site. When looking for installation issues with Ghost on their Product support site they don't even offer Ghost as one of the product options!?!

Kudos!