Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Rafeeq

RafeeqFeb 12, 2014 05:18 PM

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 13, 2014 08:08 AM

• 1.  Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 01:58 PM

I know when you install the latest verison of SBE 2013 Endpoint Protection from Symantec.cloud, the (Web Protection --> Safe Surfing) piece is what installs the "Norton Toolbar". I personally do not like having a toolbar in the way of browsing the web but it is a part of the protection suite and according to Admin Guide (see excerpt below) it should not be turned off.

However I do have concers about the Norton Toolbar that I would like addressed before rolling out to our users here that I have seen in my testing.

1. After SBE is installed remotely, when users (IE here for most) open their browser for the 1st time it asks them to "Enable (or not) Norton Toolbar". I don't want them to have the choice, I perfer it to be an automatic (enable). Can this be done in some way?

2. On the Toolbar itself, when it is running with defaults (1st time) it enables the "Safe Share" feature with links to various Social Networking sites. Is it possible to disable this feature of the toolbar. In my playing with it, "Disable" only aqautes to making it so it does not appear (can be reenabled under the Norton menu on Toolbar) but that would work for me. I would just like it to be like this right out of the gate?

Thank you.   

When Symantec Endpoint Protection installs on your computer,
    it adds the Norton Toolbar to Internet Explorer, Chrome, and
    Firefox. Norton Internet Security protects your supported browsers
    by enabling the Safe Surfing option by default.
    When Safe Surfing is turned on, Norton Internet Security enables
    the Antiphishing feature and the Norton Safe Web feature.
    Antiphishing analyzes the security levels of the websites you visit
    and displays the results in the Norton Site Safety pop-up. The
    Norton Safe Web feature displays site-rating icons next to web
    search results.

Warning: When you turn off Safe Surfing, the Antiphishing feature
    and Norton Safe Web feature are disabled. In this case, Identity
    Safe can autofill fraudulent websites with your confidential
    information.
    Symantec recommends that you do not browse the web when
    Safe Surfing is turned off.

• 2.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:04 PM

Not much flexibility with cloud version, thats the pretty much default configuration.

• 3.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:07 PM

Wasn't able to find much in the admin or getting started guide. You may want to try support to see if there is some type of config that can be set

• 4.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:08 PM

Would I have the ability to configure this with On-Premise verison? I believe my license covers both.

• 5.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:12 PM

That would remain the same.. You can have SEPM on the cloud or on Premisis they all function the same way.

I see that settings can be done only at  users' end

The Norton browser toolbar for Internet Explorer and Firefox must be turned on by either a computer user or by the local computer administrator. The toolbar is not enabled by default, however, the Safe Surfingfeatures that it provides are enabled. Deactivating configuration options available through the Norton Toolbar in violation of your organization's security policy is identified in the management console of your account. The violation can be quickly and easily remedied by using the Fix Now button.

http://consolehelp.symanteccloud.com/Home.aspx/Default

• 6.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:34 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, new to Symantec's enterprise products. I didn't understand what you meant by this: 

"...Safe Surfingfeatures that it provides are enabled. Deactivating configuration options available through the Norton Toolbar in violation of your organization's security policy is identified in the management console of your account. The violation can be quickly and easily remedied by using the Fix Now button."

• 7.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:50 PM

If someone has disabled the toolbar, its visible in the console, You can enable it by click the fix option on the client interface.

• 8.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 03:07 PM

Does this refer to the whole service being disabled on the endpoint or simply just the user disabling it in his/her browser add-ons? On a test system I'm using, I have disabled the Toolbar, in fact all add-ons for Norton in the browser and nothing has changed to signify an issue in the admin console. Also when I look at the Clients console it shows "Safe Surfing" green check and working even though it is not.

• 9.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 03:15 PM

did you check under alerts?

On the clinet machine , open the interface and select check connectivity , it will take some time to reflect in the console..what did you disable that tool bar?

• 10.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 03:29 PM

"Alerts" on admin console is blank. On the client machince the only connectivity check is "Communication Test" (see attachment) which it passed without issue.

I disabled the Norton Toolbar (and all Norton add-ons) in IE's Add-On's, see other attached picture.

• 11.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 12, 2014 05:18 PM

I wil check and confirm on this

• 12.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:08 AM

Thank you for all the help on this.

• 13.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:47 AM

The only time I get the "Fix" option on the client interface is when Symantec endpoint is disabled ( SEP  client interface -Disable antivirus) 

I did not get any alert in reports when I disabled just the add-on.

What I know is The Norton browser toolbar for Internet Explorer and Firefox must be turned on by either a computer user or by the local computer administrator. The toolbar is not enabled by default, however, the Safe Surfing features that it provides are enabled. 

When these are disabled there are not notification / alerts.

user can enable / disable these option any time.

• 14.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:49 AM

Yes, you are correct that it is not enabled by default. As it needs to be enabled by the user when they start the browser for the first time after having SBE installed. I would like to make it so (although I get the feeling it is not possible) it is enabled and working as opposed to it asking the question, "Would you like to enable this add-on?". Also any ideas on the "Safe Share" and making it so that is hidden (if not gone) by default?

• 15.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:54 AM

I believe support must be knowing of some registry tweak which might disable it. I'm not sure about that though :) 

• 16.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:01 AM

And on that note, I sent an email to support with basically what I posted originally (without their documentation note). I will let you know what I do or don't find out. Again appreciate the back and forth on this.

• 17.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 20, 2014 12:15 PM

I agree that there should be no end-user intervention in this process, if at all possible.

But while we are at it, could someone in support please manage to STANDARDIZE this mess?

I am selling the SYMANTEC Endpoint Protection as a small business product.  When my client's see NORTON (which they know as a consumer product), there is a disconnect.

I realize the technology is from the same base, but the marketing - and the perception - is what matters.

• 18.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 21, 2014 08:26 AM

I created a suppot case for this, the status is "Under Investigation" now. What is weird though is that I can't even look at the ticket contents anymore. If try to access the details now, it shows "Insufficent Privilages". I will probably call them today to see if anyone has an update. I will report back here.

• 19.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 27, 2014 01:48 PM

According to support there is no way to configure the Toolbar. I am waiting for them to update the ticket so I can actaully see their words and post them here.

Currently when I try and review the details of the ticket it stills show "Insufficent Privilages" for my own ticket.  The answer I got was based on the phone converstaion that I had, where he read the ticket details that I cannot see at this point. :)

• 20.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 27, 2014 01:53 PM

Thanks for the update , I was watching this thread... :) 

• 21.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 27, 2014 02:01 PM

I think a few people may be watching it, I can't believe I was the 1st person that thought to ask this question. What does worry me in talking to tech support, the .cloud stuff seems like the (please excuse the offensive analogy) red headed step-child of Symantec to me. It to me 3 calls to get things changed, always being passed off to someone else. Even now, I can't say it is fixed but "should be" either later today or tomorrow. We will see.

• 22.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Feb 27, 2014 02:03 PM

Documentation has been sparse but is getting better. Personally, I don't have much exposure to it yet so I try help where I can frown

• 23.  RE: Norton Toolbar - SBE 2013 (Symantec.cloud) - Change Settings?

Posted Mar 04, 2014 08:25 AM

Official answer from Support below:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Your case # 06021829 has been resolved and closed by our team.  Below is a summary of the resolution details:

Description of the resolution: The previous tech had checked and confirmed that this is not possible and hence the client can not use the Norton tool bar with SEP .cloud

The client understood and hence closing the case.

Resolution Details (Optional) :

To view the closed case, please log into the portal where the case was raised.

Shortly after your case is closed, you will receive an email invite to complete a satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this and tell us about your support experience. Your feedback is valuable to us, and your comments will help us improve our service.

For Support .cloud cases, please reference https://clients.messagelabs.com

For our Cloud-managed endpoint products including Backup Exec.cloud and Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 2013 please go to https://hostedendpoint.spn.com and click on the support link.

Kind Regards,

Symantec.cloud