Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 01:15 PM
    Just looking for some suggestions. I have to upgrade Corporate Edition from 10.1.6 to 10.1.9 MR9 and when I attempt to install the Symantec System Center on our AV Server it says that 2500MB is required. Unfortunately, I only have about 1GB of space left so I thought I would look at moving to Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 but the documentation stated that I need 4GB of free space.

Any ideas on how I can get 10.1.9 MR loaded when I only have 1GB of free space left on the C partition?
    Thank.

• 2.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 01:25 PM
    Buy bigger hard drives, copy OS to new HDD's.

This is actually your best and recommended approach, before doing any software maintenance on this server.  You should always have a few GB's of free space on a server's boot drive.  5+GB is a good number.

• 3.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help and your time.

The good news is that this configuration is about to be retired, but I still have to upgrade SAV since a new IA bulletin came out stating that we have to move to 10.1.9 MR9. The system is also a baseline and we're not really allowed to make any drastic changes other than patching it. I kind of have to make it work here and then write up an install guide for about five other sister sites who have the same config. I personally think we're just out of space and thats the way it is.

Thanks again for the reply.

• 4.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help and your time.

The good news is that this configuration is about to be retired, but I still have to upgrade SAV since a new IA bulletin came out stating that we have to move to 10.1.9 MR9. The system is also a baseline and we're not really allowed to make any drastic changes other than patching it. I kind of have to make it work here and then write up an install guide for about five other sister sites who have the same config. I personally think we're just out of space and thats the way it is.

Thanks again for the reply.

• 5.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 02:12 PM
    Just a thought: the SSC does not have to be installed on the primary AV server.  Or does it fail even if you install it to another machine?

Any other applications that could be uninstalled?  Disk Cleanup?

Just thinking out loud.

sandra

• 6.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 02:25 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Not much space left to free up unfortunately. These are older Win2k Servers so I only have 8GB partitions. The apps running on them are taking up over 5GB. Definitely time for new hardware, no doubt but as long as my customer fields these I have to meet the IA requirements.

I'm working off of the old instructions from when they upgraded to MR6 a few years ago, so I'm trying to follow what they did as I try to upgrade to MR9. I'm going into the following path: Symantec_10.1_MR9\CD1\Rollout\AVServer\Server\NT and trying to run setup.exe. Basically, after clicking next twice I get a notification that says I've got 1GB left and I need 2.5 GB. Thats where it stops.

• 7.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 02:41 PM
    Definitlely you need new server or much more space. Even if you install everything thing on some other drive on this server..still you would need about 2gb free space on root ( c: ) drive for application to work properly.

• 8.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9

Posted Apr 19, 2010 03:13 PM
    Is the 2GB of free space for the database? I think when I read about 11.0.5 the system requirements were 4GB of free space and another 4GB free for the database portion. Guess it is similar on 10.1.9 MR9.
    Thanks for the help.

• 9.  RE: Not Enough Free Space on C for 10.1.9. MR9
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 19, 2010 03:18 PM
    its not 2gb for any specific..even 1 gb will do.

Even if you install SEP or SEPM on D or any other drive C drive is still used for Virus Definitions, upgrade, client logs and few other files.

But If you are installing SEPM on C drive then its not 2 gb..Symantec receommends 8 GB free Space.Just for manager..

Hard Drive: 4 GB for the server, plus an additional 4 GB for the database
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009072315265848