Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Notes DB encrypted PGP Desktop 9.1 will not open on PGP Desktop 10.2.1

Created: 19 Sep 2012 | 3 comments

Hi there,

I'm after some help --  my disk was encrypted with PGP Desktop 9.1.0 and did a backup of the files onto a USB drive, then my disk crashed. A new disk was put in and encrypted with PGP Desktop 10.2.1. I copied my Lotus notes DB files from the usb drive to the new HD, but the files do not open

Any help appreciated.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Tom Mc's picture

Was the replaced disk and disk with just data files?  Or did it contain the operating system as well?

How was the data backed up?  Was the backed up data in an encrypted state?  If so, how was it encrypted?

What happens when you attempt to decrypt the encrypted files?  Is there an error message?  If so, what does it say?

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &

jacklad's picture

Both disks have had the XP OS put on it.

As I never encrypted the files when I copied to USB drive therefore no need to decrypt.

I can open all the txt files and Jpeg files.

When I try and open the word or excel doc -- message pops up saying :

File conversation -- select the encoding that makes your document readable.

AttachmentSize
2nd Floor.doc 35.5 KB
Tom Mc's picture

Might something like this be the problem?:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929993

If not, was that File "conversion" or File "conversation"?

Please clarify: The subject title suggests there was PGP encryption.  But it sounds like the backed up files were not encrypted.  Are you indicating that the only encryption was PGP Whole Disk Encryption? And that the files were backed up from within Windows? No use of PGP NetShare?

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &