Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Nov 07, 2008 04:36 AM
    Hi there,
    I'm sorry to open a new topic for it, but the knowledgebase and the forum gave me irritatded informations about it.

First: Can NS 6.0 SP3 be installed on a Windows Server 2008 machine?

Second: Is the Notifcation Server 7.0 already available?

Thanks & Best Regards
    schlumm0r

• 2.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Nov 07, 2008 04:42 AM
    Hello schlumm0r,
    No to both questions. NS7 is slated for Q1 of 2009, although the Dell Management Console, which is based off of the same technology is apparently available today.

Hope that helps,

Jim

• 3.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Nov 07, 2008 07:41 AM
    Yes it does

Thank you

schlumm0r

• 4.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Dec 10, 2008 01:12 AM
    I'm sorry to grub out this thread,

But we are now on the way to rebuild our complete server infrastucture to Windows 2008 and most databases should also run on SQL Server 2008. Although the CMS should go into production.

If I'm informed right, NS 6.0 SP3 R8 is not supporting SQL Server 2008 and NS 7.0 will also not. But: Cause I'm quite new, I haven't a good overlook in this Symantec/Altiris chaos ,).
    I allready registered to the beta.altiris portal but the release notes of the CMS 7.0 Beta III are confusing me even more, it requires the symantec management platform 7.0, that I never heard before

The best for now would be, if there is a possibility to use SQL server 2008 for the current NS 6.0 SP3 R8 (running on a Server 2003). If theres no way, is it possible to get a beta only for the NS 7.0? And is it advisable?
    Note: First we will use altiris in our little section, consisting of 10 users, what I'm trying to say is that little complications for a start would be passable.

I have to get experience with Altiris in our normal environment instead of a little test environment and unfortunately our server specifications are not made by me.

Thanks & Best Regards
    Malte

• 5.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Dec 10, 2008 02:08 AM
    Hello Malte,
    If you tried installing NS6 SP3 with SQL 2008, I doubt it would recognize that SQL is installed. You could always try it, and post your experiences here. In any case it wouldn't be supported by Symantec.
    You can register for the NS7 beta at http://altiris.com/portal/beta.

Hope that helps,

Jim

• 6.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Dec 10, 2008 05:27 AM
    SQL Sever 2008 would work it would just not be supported if you had problems that might be traced back to the DB. For a small shop you could possibly use SQL Express 2005 as well, but SQL SErver 2005 is supported in both NS6 nd NS7

Jonthan Jesse
    ITS Partners
    www.itsdelivers.com

• 7.  RE: Notification server on windows 2008 / Notification Server 7.0?

Posted Dec 11, 2008 07:15 AM
    Thanks to you

Today I tried to install the ALtiris 7 CMS Beta III on my windows 2008 machine, no chance. Getting path access errors all the time, when I want to start the Symantec Installation manager.
    So I let it leave with the Beta.
    Then I let the NS server install a new Database on the SQL Server 2008 till now (approaching 6hours) no problems with Altiris.

NS is still installed on a separat Windows 2003 machine, only the deployment solution has moved to the new 2008 machine.
    All works fine till now, but it is a little bit early to say that it works without any problems, but I'm optimistic ,).

One thing I haven't researched for now but perhaps one of you can give me a short answer: The new Deployment server works also as the PXE and SQL 2008 server, booth are only used for Altiris, but on booting to WinPE I'm getting not more then 5Mbit/sec to upload the WinPE image. Equal if only one or more then one client is connecting.
    The new machine should give much more, the 5 mbit/sec, this is nearly less then the old machine, that is much slower.

Is this limitation due to the PXE network drivers? Its not fine to wait hours for 15 clients too boot to WinPE. I know I can use multicast, but this is not allways possible for me.

Thanks & Best Regards
    Malte