Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

* Now Released * Symantec System Recovery 2013

Created: 15 Jun 2012 • Updated: 01 Jul 2014 | 103 comments
Andy H.'s picture

IT organizations face hardware, software and database / application downtime, lasting short periods of time to shutting down the business for days on a regular basis. Without adequate planning and preparation, any type of downtime can compromise a return to operations and cause financial damage as the ability to generate revenue is lost. Most organizations anticipate that unplanned downtime can — and likely will — occur at some future time. But, in today's world, the need to ensure Web-enabled 24 x 7 x 365 access to key applications is paramount. Thus planning for operational continuity and recovery from outages is rapidly becoming an urgent priority for commercial and government entities alike.

New Symantec System Recovery 2013 - Generally Available Globally on 7th Jan 2013

I am delighted to announce that Symantec System Recovery 2013 is available from Monday 7th January 2013. Symantec System Recovery 2013 delivers superior backup and disaster recovery for servers, desktops, laptops, and virtual machines that enable businesses to recover from downtime or disasters in minutes. With patented Restore Anyware™ technology, IT administrators can rapidly restore exactly what they need, when and where they need it–including entire physical and virtual machines to bare metal or dissimilar hardware as well as files, folders, and granular application objects. Unlike other technologies, Symantec System Recovery also provides cross-platform Physical-to-Virtual (P2V), Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V), and Virtual to-Physical (V2P) recoveries, making it the perfect complement to physical and virtual environments.

The new and powerful features in this latest release further extend Symantec System Recovery leadership position in Disaster Recovery and Data Protection for all sizes of businesses. This new release includes support for the latest applications and operating systems, a new management solution for large scale deployments, and faster incremental backups in windows by up to 750%. 

Key new features in Symantec System Recovery 2013:

• Support for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8

• Support for VMware vSphere 5.0 and 5.1

• UEFI Support: Symantec System Recovery now enables boot from UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in addition to BIOS.

• 64 bit Support:  Full 64 bit support is now included.

• Advanced Monitoring and Reporting: Symantec System Recovery Monitor is a new monitoring solution that's extremely simple to use and is FREE of charge to all Symantec System Recovery 2013 customers. It's a standalone and lightweight solution for managing up to 100 nodes. It’s simplicity and no extra dependency eliminates the learning curve for users. Intuitive GUI along with essential action controls provide crisp status along with ability to take desired actions seamlessly through the same view.

• Smart Reconciliation:  Now Backups and reconciliation are efficiently done by smartly tracking changed blocks. The reconcile time is drastically reduced to seconds by eliminating the need to do a complete reconcile in cases of crashes or abrupt shutdowns. In addition,  incremental backups are now up to 750% faster.

- Incremental Backup without reconcile – At least 35% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Full Backup – At least 15% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Incremental Backup with reconcile – At least 750% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

• Updated Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition: The Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition now includes the ability to perform incremental backups and schedule backup jobs.

Try it Now FREE for 60 Days!

You can download the new version of Symantec System Recovery from Monday 7th Jan 2013 onwards by visiting: 

Comments 103 CommentsJump to latest comment

STHN's picture

How about file and folder backup for the management solution? Is there any hope for that?

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - Consulting und Support für Altiris/SEP/EV und andere Symantec Produkte.
Please take the time and mark this post as solution if it solved your problem - thanks!

Chris Riley's picture

Afraid not.

Please add your comments to the following:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/ssr-...

mustard man's picture

how about de-dup on windows 8 ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Chris Riley's picture

As mentioned, there will be support for Windows 8 which includes the built-in dedupe feature.

Do you have any specific requirements here?

SamWiseTx's picture

I hope it has a way monitor for OFFSITE copies. with Version 2011, i can;t know if the files transfered successfully to my offsite location.

gerrypete's picture

I have recently found what I consider to be a significant issue with regard to SSR 2013 Desktop Edition.  The following information is included on p. 57 of the User Guide:

Symantec System Recovery lets you assign unique names to external drives when you use them as a backup destination or an Offsite Copy destination. Assigning unique names helps you to manage these destinations and avoid confusion if you use more than one drive. It is especially helpful when the assigned drive letter changes each time you plug in the drive.

Then on p. 58:

You can remove or change the unique name for the drive as needed.

The User Guide contains instruction on removing or changing the unique names but not how to assign them.

These features do not work.  I contacted support and found that this is a known problem.  For me this is important because I swap offsite copies between my home office and safe deposit box on a weekly basis and the feature of uniques names that are intended to solve the problem of changing drive letters does not work.

This is not an enhancement but rather a problem with the program that really needs to be fixed on the next release since it renders the User Guide to be incorrect regarding this feature.

najmulhasan's picture

Any Support for clustered drives?As if a recovery point set job running on one mode,if moved to other will create a full recovery point..

davidkillingsworth's picture

Please for the love of all that is holy add SFTP support.  You currently offer FTP support, but who in the world uses just FTP anymore?

In fact, please add more protocols for offsite backup storage.

Ideally, all of my customers now want to backup to Amazon S3 for offsite backups.  This would be a perfect product for the Windows platform for SME/SMB if you offered Amazon S3 support.

STHN's picture

SFTP support would definately increase confidence in a connected world.

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - Consulting und Support für Altiris/SEP/EV und andere Symantec Produkte.
Please take the time and mark this post as solution if it solved your problem - thanks!

Bas Lips's picture

They can put their SFTP effort into a solution that is common for 2013, if you ask me...

Check out the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/automatic-offsite-backup-replication

Hopefully Symantec picks up on this request...

PDM-RED's picture

Hi Guys,

i would like to be able disable the way that SSR assigns unique names to external USB Drives.

ie: i would like a daily independent recovery point  (not initial recovery point) to go to g: (whether G: is a western digital passport or a mybook or even a large flashdrive , i just want the job to run and not care which device is connected) does anyone else share this pain? maybe also the option to overwrite this g: drive as opposed to having to "limit the number of recovery points to 1 and pray that 2 images of a laptop will fit on a passport drive before it is "deleted to comply with the number of recovery points".

OFFSITE does not work unless you have 10mb conection to the FTP/UNC server you are writing to which is simply not an option for SME's. and why cannot it not retry if it happens to lose connectivity, if I lose internet connectivity the ftp transfer handle it, the job fails meaning I lose a whole evening of offsite replication. ISP now sell online storage as SFTP so this is simple a prerequitise for SSR2013 Amazon S3 would be a dream come true.

The email alerts could use some more detail - ie: let me know how much data was backup up to give me peace of mind.

I have an empty partition d: drive, it does not need to be backed up so wy does SSR tell me I am at risk, I would like to be able to tell it which drives it needs to be concerned with.

I have never joined a forum before but this is an area I am spending a lot of time on currently looking at Evault, Backup exec 2012, Novastor, Azure, Acronis and I have been baby sitting a few SSR installs for the past 2 years hoping it would improve.

TOPTIP: run a daily independent backup to a cheap laptop bare disk in a cheap dropin bay like startech satdock25u connected a win7 workstation eg: \\machinename\e$ when you change the disk SSR wont know and you can backup to different media without modifiying your jobs. it works on XP workstations too but you have to restart the pc you can now take a complete image of all your servers home on a small laptop disk. Apologies for the long Post.

Andy H.'s picture

I appreciate your comments. Your points are well made and I invite others to share their feedback. They are all noted to product management. 

Andy Horlacher

Please mark this thread as 'solved' if it answers your question

Chris Riley's picture

maybe also the option to overwrite this g: drive as opposed to having to "limit the number of recovery points to 1 and pray that 2 images of a laptop will fit on a passport drive before it is "deleted to comply with the number of recovery points".

But what happens if the current backup fails? You have already removed the previous recovery point which leaves you with....nothing. Not a good position to be in. This is why you always need enough space for at least 2 recovery points.

I have an empty partition d: drive, it does not need to be backed up so wy does SSR tell me I am at risk, I would like to be able to tell it which drives it needs to be concerned with.

You can already do this. You just need to disable the reporting for this volume (go to Advanced/Customize Status Reporting).

Haznohair's picture

Hi PDM-Red,  Up to version 7 of Backup Exec System Recovery you could use drive letters as the destination, handy for daily full images to be removed off site, different disk every day etc. From version 8 this disappeared and has been that bain of our lives ever since, batch files here and there to overcome jobs failing because drive volume such and such isnt available. Bring BACK DRIVE LETTER designation for this otherwise nifty product ! PLEASE ! crying

Chris Riley's picture

Can you provide a bit more detail on this please? A detailed example of what does not currently work would help..

gmradiator's picture

I see 64bit compatibility has been improved and I can't wait to try this out with custom recovery disks.

I note a few people complaining about the off-site backup options in SSR.

In my opinion, SSR's off-site options are never going to match that of a dedicated single purpose program designed to perform off-site sync'ing.

I use SSR to create the images, and incrementals. We then use AllwaySync (only around £20) to sync these to off-site locations. It also propogates deletions - ideal for when consolidating incrementals.

And it's compatible with most offsite backup facilities.

Sometimes it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

PDM-RED's picture

Dear Chris Riley - thank you for the Advanced/Customize Status Reporting tip - you have changed my life.

The 2 recovery points discussion is specifically for our roaming laptop users with 500gb plus CDrives and ony access to relatively expensive 1TB usb drives, I was comparing it to a tape scenario were you always overwrite your media. We backup critical laptop data to online storage so the imaging aspect is not required so regularly but its difficult to get road warriors to image their laptops. So on the rare chance that they finally do leave it plugged in it would be nice that the independant recovery thats always scheduled for 23:00 simply runs whether it has enough space or is at random one of the selection of usb drives that users happens to have on that day as long as its g: As it may be a while before the bother to leave their laptop connected and plugged into a drive. Ultimately I do agree with you. Cheers.

Does anyone else know of a clever replication tool like AllwaySync mentioned above or are we all praying SSR2013 will handle this aspect perfectly and to multile cloud vendors.. Regards to all, this is all very helpful.

gmradiator's picture

Manually consolidating recovery points.

I prefer to do this manually, however if I select say 10 incrementals to delete, it prompts me to continue after EVERY incremental is removed.

Really, I should just click ok the first time, and it should remove all selected points without prompting individually.

It causes issues as some incrementals take a good half hour to remove and so I need to keep checking on the progress - which is an inefficient use of time.

Has this been corrected in the new version?

John Santana's picture

Yes please, I have been waiting to install the latest SSR which supports Windows 8.

WHat is the effect of installing SSR 2011 in Windows 8 ? can we do the upgrade later on ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

Chris Riley's picture

WHat is the effect of installing SSR 2011 in Windows 8 ? can we do the upgrade later on ?

Don't do it - it's not supported. Whilst it *may* work, you wont get any support if you run into problems. SSR 2013 will be available early Jan 2013 so I would recommend you wait for this.

John Santana's picture

Cool, many thanks for the clarification Chris.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

Jamie Malone's picture

Hello, will SSR 2013 be compatible with Xenserver 6.1? According the the SSR 2011 SCL, the last version was only compatible/tested with XenServer 5.6.

Thanks

Chris Riley's picture

Jamie,

Let me see if I can find out when we can expect support for XenServer 6.1 (and 6.0 for that matter). I'll get back to you...

Jamie Malone's picture

Hi Chris,

Any updates on SSR 2013 Xenserver support?

Thanks

Sandeep_SSR's picture

The Following XenServer version are supported with SSR 2013

XenServer 5.0        x86-x64
XenServer 5.5        x86-x64
XenServer 5.6 FP1 x86-x64
XenServer 6.0        x86-x64
XenServer 6.1        x86-x64

Regards,

Sandeep

John Santana's picture

thank you Sandeep !

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

benevida's picture

Can someone please tell me if SSR 2013 will include granular restore of Exchange 2010 Contacts and/or Calendars?

(SSR 2011 can only restore mailboxes)

And, what about an agent for SQL Server 2008?

Thanks

LowellP's picture

Being this was supposed to be released in early December and we're over half-way through... is there any more specific release date we can look forward to? Windows Server 2012 has now been out for a long time for Software Assurance customers but Symantec SSR customers can't upgrade to it currently.

Chris Riley's picture

Current release date is 7th January.

Andy H.'s picture

Yes, it is. 

Andy Horlacher

Siddhesh Sawant's picture

Dear team Symantec System Recovery 2013 can support EFI partition?

Chris Riley's picture

Yes

Ashish-Sharma's picture

HI,

Now Symantec System Recovery 2013 are released now.

New Symantec System Recovery 2013 Out Now

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-symantec-system-recovery-2013-out-now

You can download the new version of Symantec System Recovery from Monday 7th Jan 2013 onwards by visiting: http://www.symantec.com/system-recovery-server-edition

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

durkinr's picture

Glad to see 64-bit recovery disc driver support and also the stand-alone monitoring (not tied to the Symantec Management Platform). Can you manage backup jobs using this new stand-alone console? In my opinion, tying SSR 2011 management to Symantec Management Platform was a mistake, it took a simple product and made it much more difficult to manage. The SMP console is a mess.

Chris Riley's picture

Using the monitor, you can connect to each remote machine and manage the backup jobs. However, you can only manage one job at a time, hence why this is designed for small (up to 100) environments.

I agree that the Management Solution is more complex but it's really designed for large (several hundred and above) environments.

reefersales's picture

When does this get released for bundled users that are apart of Symantec Advanced Business Edition 4.0 Bundle?

Andy H.'s picture

If it's currently in the software, it will be upgraded to SSR 2013 to accomdate Windows 8 and Server 2012. If you need further details, you may want to call Symantec sales for more specific information.

Andy Horlacher

Andy H.'s picture

I agree it is far less complicated that SSR MS, which is why we recommend if for customers running 100 machines or less. It's very light weight and currently only allows you to monitor BESR/SSR remotely. If you want to edit a job on another computer without using SSR MS, you can use the console built into SSR 2013 to remotely connect to the agent on another machine (with a network connection) to do what you are asking. There is also an option to open the SSR console from the SSR monitor where they are both installed onto. 

Andy Horlacher

STHN's picture

Since Symantec System Recovery 2013 Management Solution is now installed via Symantec Installation Manager, please add the download of SIM to the FileConnect for System Recovery 2013. This would enable new customers to install the Management Solution quickly. Thanks!

Reference:

How to download/install the Symantec System Recovery Management Solution (SSR-MS) 2013.

Article:TECH201523  |  Created: 2013-01-10  |  Updated: 2013-01-10  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201523

John Santana's picture

Thanks for the sharing Sebaha !

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

FZ2H's picture

Hello,

What about the upgrade installation steps for 2011 to 2013

Sandeep_SSR's picture

Hello Omar,

The upgrade of SSR 2011 to SSR 2013 is in place upgrade so you can run the installation SSR 2013 on the desired system. It will confirm the previous installation and upgrade it to SSR 2013(x86 or x64) with respect to the processor architecture and OS installed on the system.

Regards,

Sandeep

bruceparker's picture

Where can employees or partners find an NFR license key for SSR 2013?

STHN's picture

The simplest way to get help here would be to call Customer Care. They will guide you.

Grab the appropriate number here:

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Or as a partner you can try to log into partner net and just search for "NFR". There will be a useful result.

PDM-RED's picture

Hey Bruce, I have just ordered my reseller NFR license. I logged into partner net, went to software benefits, order NFR. it then takes you off to the ordering portal at salesforce.com on the 4th page of products I am entitled to it showed:

SYMC SYSTEM RECOVERY 2013 WIN NFR LIC

I added it to my order and submitted, I got a confirmation email immediately stating the I should receive my key in 3-5 days.

Note: the salesforce ordering web portal is very "comprehensive"  if you have not already setup your NFR entitlement be advised it will take a bit of effort. Happy New Year to all.

WillieL's picture

Hi I am new to the forum but just wanted to let folk know of my experience of upgrading so far. I had SSR 2011 installed and working fine on our Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with SP2 installed. I performed an inplace upgrade to the SSR 2013 product and since then all my users have complained of very slow access times to our server but this is not my main issue. Once I completed the install and re-started the server the software took ages to connect to the agent and when it did connect it no longer had my previous back up jobs listed. I therefore went to re-create them, this is when I have come across a major issue. When starting the wizard for creating a new backup job and I ask it to backup the computer option there are no drives at all listed! If I can't see the drives then how am I to back them up? I then tried to create a folder backup which it can see them but gives errors when I try to move to the next part of the wizard after "Name & Destination". Error is

-Error E1AD78A5: Cannot save backup properties.

--Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

(UMI:V-281-429-30885)

I am now sitting with a server that is not protected and I would seriously advise to re-consider doing an inplace upgrade.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

STHN's picture

Form a support perspective, the best way to deal with that is to have the system restored from backup to the state before upgrade. Troubleshooting upgrade issues should be the last options. The reason for that is to avoid "hidden issues", that don't show immediately after the upgrade but day/weeks/month later. Troubleshootin these is always a pain in the rear.

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Willie,

Can you please check if following 2 services exist  and are up in Services control panel?

1. Symantec System Recovery

2. SymtrackService

-Thanks,

Pravin

WillieL's picture

Thank you for the responses, I can confirm to PravinAmin that the first service appears is installed and started however the second service is not listed therefore I presume it is not running.

Willie

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Willie,

Thanks for confirmation. Can you please try following and let me know if it resolves the issue?

1. Start command prompt with Administrative previliges.

2. Navigate to  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\Service folder

3. Locate Symtrackservice.exe (if OS is 32-bit) or Symtrackservicex64.exe (if OS is 64-bit) in the folder

4. Execute following command:

a. 32-bit OS: "Symtrackservice.exe /service /start=Auto"

b. 64-bit OS:  "SymTrackServicex64.exe /service /start=Auto"

5. Please make sure that the service gets registered and can be started.

6. Restart the server

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.

-Thanks,

Pravin

WillieL's picture

PravinAmin,

I can confirm that installing and startinig that service does resolve my issue and I can carry on and re-setup backup jobs as the previous jobs are missing but it does see all the drives and the previous backup images.

Many thanks

Willie

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Willie,

Thanks for confirmation. This could be some machine specific issue of windows missing to register the service.

-Thanks,
Pravin

Andy H.'s picture

SSR 2013 is now a live product and no longer considered 'beta'. If you have any questions or comments, please start a new thread. This will ensure your post receives full exposure to everyone monitoring this SSR\BESR forum. 

Thank you all for your questions and responses. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Andy Horlacher

John Santana's picture

thanks !

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

tac1's picture

Downloaded and installed SSR 2013 without any problem.

Windows 8 Pro, Intel i7, nVidia GTX670, backup ource 230GB SSD, backup target 3GB HD, all as used with Ghost 15 0n windows 7 with no problems.

Unable to back up. 

When attempting backup with SSR2013, program starts by calculating 'time remaining' as usual but then fails, stating there is not enough room on target disk (on a nearly empty 3GB HD!). blush

Error message:

-Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE (-2147212513).

(UMI:V-281-1267-14)

Any ideas?

PravinAmin's picture

Hi,

This error is of VSS, occurs due to insufficient snapshot storage. Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200588.

Mostly, there might be less space left on System Reserved partition with is 300 MB on Windows 8. You can relocate the snapshot area of this partition to C drive.

-Thanks,

Pravin

tac1's picture

Pravin, thank you for fast response, appreciated.

Hum, perhaps I misunderstand, but reference tech. note states that problem occurs if source volume has less than 300GB of free disk space.

In my understanding source disk is that disk which is to be backed up - is this correct?

If so, SSR 2013 is unsuitable for backing up 95% of SSDs used for OS installation, most of which are 60-120GB; mine, at 240GB, is larger than most, and, currently, has 70GB free.

Hope that I simply misunderstand Tech. Note and reply.

Thanks and regards

Robert Challess

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Robert,

This is slightly unrelated to size of disk drive or partition. The VSS shadowstorage size is set to 300 MB by default. VSS snapshoting is also used by other applications which captures snapshots. If such old snapshots are not deleted and new snapshot is tried, it may exceed the defined snapshot storage area causing the VSS error that you observed. The snapshot size in some cases itself bigger than shadowstorage limit resulting in the error.

Please run following command as Administrator to check the shadow storage details

vssadmin list shadowstorage

You can also resize the shadowstorage using

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage command.

Please let me know if this resolves your query or please start a new thread in the forum for further discussion.

-Thanks,

Pravin

tac1's picture

Hi Pravin

Been there, done that.

ShadowStorage space increased to 18GB (!!!) and no change.  SSR 2013 continues to fail with refewrence to insufficient space, as described above.

Thanks

Robert Challess

TeleFragger's picture

go figure.. i got some reading to do... in this thread..

well we are going from NS 6 to NS 7.1 SP2 MP1 rolllup 1 right now.
We deal with regulated computers and takes time to get anything done here. We just got 7.1 installed in a dev/test/prod environment and now upgrading our machines into the prod env. This will be done by Feb 9th range. We were using Recovery Solution. What a beautiful piece of software that was.. way more advanced than SSR. While RS was nice it wasnt easy keeping running but we could backup all 4000 machines on 25tb of space across sites.. now without dedupe and file/folder exclusions were screwed... we can not even do 10% of our population.

we now have SSR running but need to deploy it.. and until dedupe is implemented it will be in a small  target  audience. however we need folder/file exclusions too... this is due to we dont care about "BIG DATA"...

hah.. at vision everyone was talking about big data.. and when we said we dont care about data.. we got the deer in the headlights look....

not all of us care about data... we have unique computers everywhere and some of the vendors are out of business and we just need the machines back up and running. we have processes t get the data off and stored to a safe location.

hope SSR 2013 goes somewhere...

Did we help you? Please Mark As Solution those posts which resolve your problem,

Matt Dralle's picture

Why can't I order Symantec System Recovery Desktop 2013 from the Symantec web site??????  I have to fricken call in to order???  And guess what?  On a Sunday, there's no one there to take my order.

But it gets better.  If you download the trial version of the Recovery Disc and try to do a back up, it askes for a serial number!!!!!!!!!!!  What kind of trial is that?

So, I can't order it and I can't use it.

Symantec sucks.  And the Symantec web site is a confusing mish mash that is completely impossible to navigate.

Its 2013 - why can't I just order your software online like every other company does?

Pissed off.

TeleFragger's picture

Well Matt... guess your not satisified... 

Did we help you? Please Mark As Solution those posts which resolve your problem,

GGF's picture

My trial of SSR 2013 Desktop has been going well, but, just how much longer have your UK customers got to wait before they can actually purchase a copy from the UK website.

Ron K's picture

Helllo,

I downloaded the trial version of SSR 2013 to my Windows 8 PRO 64 bit laptop. It won't create an image of the laptop because it cannot create a shadow snapshot.  I checked and the Windows 8 VSS service is running.

Anyone else having this problem? Can someone help me solve this?

Thanks,

Ron K

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Ron,

Have you checked http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200584 for VSS errors? What is the exact error string you are getting?

-Thanks,

Pravin

Ron K's picture

HI Praveen,

Herre is the error message:

-Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service.
 Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSet (-2147212529).

(UMI:V-0-1267-14)

I have tried the steps shown with this error in the tech200584 doc you referenced.  When I try to resize the storage with the VSSADMIN comands shown I get this VSS error:

EVENT 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine GetProviderMgmtInterface. hr = 0x8004230f, The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.

Thanks,

Ron

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Ron,

It looks like VSS component has some issue on this system. Can you please create a batch file with the contents given in the same technote which will re-register the VSS and check if it solves the errors?

-Thanks,

Pravin

Ron K's picture

Hi Praveen,

I tried the batch file you noted.  It completed without an error.  But I still get the error noted above.

Thanks,

Ron

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Ron,

Can you please paste the output of following commands?

vssadmin list volumes

vssadmin list shadowstorage

vssadmin list shadows

-Thanks,

Pravin

Ron K's picture

HI Praveen,

Each of the VSSADMIN commands noted above resulted in VSS error event 13 followed by event 12292.

Thanks,

Ron 

Andy H.'s picture

Ron,

Can you open a support incident so we can grab the log files from your machine?

Andy Horlacher

Ron K's picture

Andy,

I tried last week opening a support case. The tool kept erroring on the software version: 11.0.0.46600:

Thanks,

Ron

Andy H.'s picture

Ron - Please call technical support using this information: http://www.symantec.com/support/techsupp_contact_phone.jsp or log the case at: https://my.symantec.com. You can send me a private message with the case number.

Andy Horlacher

Andy H.'s picture

@GCF -SSR desktop is on the UK website. Try this:

http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/products-solutions/p...

Andy Horlacher

GGF's picture

Hello Andy,

I have been watching that page for nearly the full period of my 60 day trial of SSR 2013 Desktop. This appears to be a way of purchasing a copy of SSR 2011 Desktop not SSR 2013 Desktop. The UK website clearly states that only SSR 2011 Desktop is for sale with "Support for Windows 8 coming soon. For a brief product overview, watch the product tour" . Are you suggesting that I could use this licence number to activate my trial copy of SSR 2013 Desktop?

Ron K's picture

Andy,

Microsoft says they believe there is a problem in the way HP preinstalled Wiindows 8 on my laptop.  They have suggested I refresh Windows 8.  I am going to do this when I have the time to reinstall all my programs.

Given this, is there still a point in my opening a case?

Thanks,

Ron

bogdan12's picture

But what happens if the current backup fails? You have already removed the previous recovery point which leaves you with....nothing. Not a good position to be in. This is why you always need enough space for at least 2 recovery points here jocuri barbie  ,But it gets better.  If you download the trial version of the Recovery Disc and try to do a back up, it askes for a serial number!!!!!!!!!!! jocuri cu barbie What kind of trial is that?I downloaded the trial version of SSR 2013 to my Windows 8 PRO 64 bit laptop. It won't create an image of the laptop because it cannot create a shadow snapshot and here jocuri fotbal I checked and the Windows 8 VSS service is running.

Chris Riley's picture

Have you seen the readme (http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6259)?

This lists the new features...

ssi_chris's picture

Yes, I've seen that but I'm looking for a technical list of changes (especially bug fixes) like the SCN for previous versions. Thanks!

Ron K's picture

All:

The system reset restored VSS capability -- just as Microsoft recommended.  They were justified in their suspicion that HP blew the pre-install of Windows 8.

I was able to create a backup image of my laptop with SSR 2013 Desktop.  If I ever need to restore from it, can I do it without a CD to boot from?  The laptop has no CD/DVD drive.

Thanks,

Ron-K

Andy H.'s picture

@Ron - within the SSR console, click TASKS > Create Custom Recovery Disk. This will allow you to convert a USB thumb drive into a bootable Symantec Recovery Drive (USB SRD). The process will not delete any files or folders on the USB drive. 

Andy Horlacher

Ron K's picture

Hi Andy,

I did as you suggested.  But the system needs a Symantec Recovery Folder or ISO drive.  Is this something I can get with the trial version or do I need to buy it first?

Thanks,

Ron

Andy H.'s picture

When you download the trial version, did you also download the Symantec Recovery Disk? If so, it was an ISO file after you extracted it, which is what the wizard is looking for. You can do this in trial mode, but the functionality of what you can do in trial mode is limited.

Andy Horlacher

StrongerLiu's picture

I have bought 11 sets of SSR. But i found it doesn't support for SUSE Enterprice Server 11 SP2. How can I do? I alos need to know what time it will be supported? Thanks!

Brian.M's picture

I am a Ghost v14 user.  I was about to order Ghost for some new machines and have purchased a RAID backup server to hold the new backups.  Just read that the replacement for Ghost is SSR 2013.  Installed it OK on my machine before I try on new machines.  It showed my exisitng backups and backup jobs OK.  However, as soon as I tried to do a backup I get the error:-

-Error EBAB03E9: Internal Application Error: Memory Access Violation c0000005: Application tried to read memory at 00000000.

(UMI:V-0-2987-1001)

I spent 5 hours on the Symantec chat support line with no success.  They had me run chkdsk, try different destinations, backing up using independant recovery points, just files and folders, etc.  I have tried to re-install.  All have the same effect.  The online Smantec chat person said he had tried his best but was unsuccesful and suggested I try here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Andy H.'s picture

Hi Brian -

There is a known issue where this error may occur after upgrading to SSR 2013 from a previous build when backing up more than one volume. Here is a link to the technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH195857. This technote pertains to 2010, but will also be addressed in SSR 2013 for an identical error. This service pack is due out in the next couple of weeks.

If urgent, please open a support case by clicking here: https://my.symantec.com/webapp/faces/technicalSupport?casetype=cc

Andy Horlacher

Brian.M's picture

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response.  I tried to get hold of the hotfix, but as I don't have a customer number, I can't get the fix.  I am trying this at home, where I was very happy with Ghost v14 but decided to use my Laptop to upgrade to SSR 2013 to try it out before I bought SSR 2013 for the charity where I provide IT support.  As we haven't bought it, we don't have a customer number!

I therefore decided to wait for the service pack.  As I needed to back up my Laptop as I hadn't done this due the SSR 2013 problem, I decided to go back to Ghost v14.  So, I uninstalled SSR 2013 and tried to re-install Ghost v14.  It won't allow that and give me an installation error.  So now I can't go back to v14 or move to SSR 2013.

I want to move forward, any ideas on how to get the hotfix?

Thanks,

Brian