Philadelphia Security User Group

View Only

NS 6.0 - Windows Server 2008 R2 package server problems

• 1.  NS 6.0 - Windows Server 2008 R2 package server problems

Posted Sep 24, 2012 05:27 PM
      |   view attached

Folks,

Has anyone had any luck using a Windows Server 2008 R2 computer as an NS 6.0 package server? I have brought up two in my environment, and both perform terribly. They take weeks to finish downloading packages. I have a monthly "Synchronize Packages" task which performs "Step1.vbs" outlined here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/issue-old-stale-packages-remain-package-servers-after-they-have-been-removed-notification-s

I have no problems running this on any of my Server 2003 or Windows XP (YES...sigh... we have XP package "servers") package servers. They quickly create new snapshot.xml files, refresh packages, and are back to normal in no time. NOT SO on my Server 2008 R2 servers. They will struggle along for days, weeks trying to finish updating packages. Additionally, I get "Error while downloading package: No package sources returned by server (-2147023728)" in the package server logs on a number of built-in packages which should have no difficulty finding a package source. These package servers are the only package servers in their Sites, and they are Unconstrained.

To my perception, it appears that it is processing each package a lot more slowly than my XP and Server 2003 packages would process, but that doesn't account for the "No package sources returned by server" error. For those packages, no source locations are being returned by the NS. I have tried "Updating Distribution Points" for those packages and running the Package Refresh task on the NS. No dice.

I have scoured the KB articles looking for a solution, and I've followed all of the KB articles which say that II7 must be configured specially for package servers (It isn't reassuring that these documents don't all agree with each other 100%, but I've come to expect that from Symantec.) I have FIFTY package servers attached to this NS. I'm only having this problem on my two Server 2008 R2 package servers. All of my other package servers perform wonderfully. I am convinced this problem has something to do with Server 2008 R2 but I can't quite figure out what.

I have a case opened with Symantec. The tech followed me through all the KB articles I'd already been through (e.g., "Resynchronizing package servers with stale or invalid codebases", and to me all that appeared to do was set me back even farther.) At this point, the tech is "still researching the issue" and will get back to me sometime in the future. Here's hoping one of you can help me instead! Thanks,

Attachment(s)

txt
    Agent.log_.txt   82 KB 1 version