Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

NSE Files not processing after upgrade to 7.1 SP2 MP1

Created: 18 Oct 2012 • Updated: 25 Oct 2012 | 13 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I upgraded to SP2 MP1 recently and noticed a day or two later that no clients were updating. I'v been wrangling with Altiris for a few years now and thought "Ok, lets go through the standard motions" here is what I have done so far (pulled from my active case with support)...

Attempted most common repair steps to resolve failure of NSE processing:

1. Cleared NSE and restarted services

2. Repaired SMP

3. Cleared NSE and truncated resourcemerge table on DB

4. Checked database for deadlock and performance issues

5. Truncated Eventqueue table and Eventqueuestatus table (Rebooted everything after this)

6. Moved event processing to another folder on server using sym doc.

7. Moved event processing to another NS server

(At this point I became very suspicious of the DB)

8. Paused NSE receiving with the configurator application to see if nse would process, no movement after 1 hour of paused flow

9. Followed this document… again

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH183347

I'm very stuck, anyone have anything else to try?

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

andykn101's picture

Are nse's getting into the "process" directory?

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

Mrhea00's picture

They go directly into the EvtQueue, I can drop them into any of the other Queue's and they will auto process directly back into the EvtQueue. My understanding of SP2 is that the process directories are no longer used.

andykn101's picture

Yes, you're right, I had read that KB article before but not absorbed all of it. No more "process" directory.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

michael cole's picture

Could I get you to read http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH197966 - Upgrading to ITMS 7.1 SP2 – MP1 – Best Practices. There are some important details therein for all customers.

Rule out http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH198556 also, please.

Let us know if this is related, please.

Thanks

Michael Cole

Principal Business Critical Engineer

Business Critical Services

Mrhea00's picture

I don't have any errors like this in my logs, but I did follow the steps without success. I'm really happy to find fresh ideas though! Is there any information I could provide that might be helpful? Support has had me run the pointfix for stale NSE's since my last update, no change.

mafoe's picture

Hi,

I had a simmilar issue after an upgrade to 7.1SP2. The nse's were not processed at all, so no basic inventory, no agent upgrade. I noticed that there were log entries saying that the database is not ready. I checked the database settings in the console and the time I clicked the at the Datebase Settings in the tree I got an logentry that the database is not in the correct version. I did a "Repair Database" from there and let it run over night and was back on track the next day.

Hope that helps

andykn101's picture

It's worth emphasising that the database repair can easliy take many hours to run successfully.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

mafoe's picture

I did a "Repair Database" from there and let it run over night and was back on track the next day.

Maybe I could have said it more clearly :-) ... cause it will take hours

michael cole's picture

Although not an exact fit for the OP, try

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH195347

Michael Cole

Principal Business Critical Engineer

Business Critical Services

Mrhea00's picture

Support had me run that hotfix, it didn't resolve the issue, I will look back into the database repair option seeing as it has noted success. I have been wondering if my repair function is working correctly becasue it only takes about 20 min and without any change, so I'll check the logs right after and see if it complains about anything during the process. I'll update with my findings.

mafoe's picture

Hi,

if there is nothing left over to try you could go for a Repair of Symantec Management Platform in SIM, or even an aexconfig.exe /Configureall (found under ...\Notification Server\Bin). Take care of your Targets and Policy Settings for the agent and plugin installs aswell as taskserver/package settings as the will be defaulted. Also the aexconfig.exe /Configureall will take some amount of time depending on your environment.

Mrhea00's picture

Sadly the Database was not repairing, I ended up starting fresh. A few hard days of work and a new clean enviroment is running happy, thanks everyone for helping out.

SOLUTION