Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Ntfs corruption events after installing BUE 2012 hotfix 199866

Created: 21 Jan 2013 | 14 comments
B-N's picture

Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2

Symantec product: Backup Exec 2012

After installing all available updates for BUE 2012 we started getting a number of errors logged in the system log:

ID: 55
 SRC: Ntfs
 The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume USER1.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 ID: 55
 SRC: Ntfs
 The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume SYS.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
 ID: 26
 SRC: Application popup
 Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : Exception Processing Message 0xc0000102 Parameters 0x000007FEFD7E718C 0x000007FEFD7E718C 0x000007FEFD7E718C 0x000007FEFD7E718C

We uninstalled all the updates just installed with the exception of hotfix 199866 which cannot be uninstalled, the error remained. If we stop all the BUE services we do not get these error events any longer, start the BUE and the events start again.

Anyone else come across this and does anyone have a fix ? I'm trying to avoid having to uninstall BUE completely and re-install with the pre199866 install media, partly because of the time and server restart and partly because I get the impression the BUE uninstall is not that reliable.

B-N

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi B-N,

Check the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bac...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

B-N's picture

Hi,

Thanks for the post, although I do not see anything relevant in there.

We are not running a VMware agent and the keys

Key_Local_Machine\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\VMware Agent

Key1  : Disable NTFS Used Sector Tracking

Key 2 : Disable NTFS Used Sector Tracking Dynamic Disk Support

do not exist on our installation.

B-N

CraigV's picture

OK thanks for the clarification...in this case, check the Known Issues section (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and...), and if need-be, open up a support call with Symantec themselves.

Post back here when/if you get a solution!

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

I doubt that the hotfix cause the NTFS error.  BE does not write to the disk.  It is more likely that the disk corruption is due to some other factors, like a failing disk.  You should use a command prompt and run chkdsk /f to correct the disk errors.

B-N's picture

The disk has been checked, it is on a RAID subsystem (Dell H700) which has it's own physical disk monitor and logging, there are no disk faults logged. A RAID controller disk check was run on the disks which reported no faults. Windows CHKDSK /F /R was run against both OS volumes and returned no problems found.

B-N

pkh's picture

Try turning off the disk caching on the disk and see whether the error messages goes away.

B-N's picture

We have not had any error events logged since changing the shadow copy settings yesterday (approximately 18 hours ago), we have passed this to Symantec who are looking into it.

Thanks for your interest.

B-N

dbiddle's picture

I just solved a similar issue with my 2012 install. It kept failing on one volume on my file server. I tried an updated NTFS driver for windows server 2003 but that didn't solve it.
I came across a post that said to delete the VSS shadow copies and found that shadow copies were disabled. Once I enabled shadow copies on the volume the backups were successful.

The strange thing is that we've been using veritas/backup exec since this server was installed in October 2006 and never had problems until recently. We also always used AOFO with automatically select.

Johnny T's picture

Did you resolve this?  I'm having the same issue.  Brand new dell server and i reinstalled the OS and once i installed the patch i started receiving errors and then the OS search stopped working. I also lost all my icons.

I'm calling support now to find out why this keeps happening.

B-N's picture

Hi,

No we did not, Symantec support looked at it, changed the shadow copy size to unlimited and wiped all the copies. The symptoms disappeared for some time but came back eventually.

Regards,

BN

Johnny T's picture

Stinks!   I was thinking it might be a hardware issue.  However i left the server alone for a few weeks and nothing.  Once i installed BEU it started happening again.  They have no idea what im talking about.

I updated all drivers and firmware for the dell server to make sure that was not it.

If you do find out what it might be can you post it here?

Thanks!

B-N's picture

Yes if we do ever resolve it we will post a fix it here, if you could do the same it would be appreciated.

The only possible light in the otehrwise dark Symantec tunnel is that we can find no evidence that there is any file system corruption as the event logs suggest.

Regards,

BN

Johnny T's picture

We did have side effects.  Lost all icons, search feature stopped working.  Profiles would be temp.  The server is 3000 miles away so i had to use iDRAC to install a new OS since it is not a guest on the VM enviroment.

I left the CD in the drive and backed up the configures (catalag and data folders) for a quick restore.  Annoying we have to do this but it is what it is until we resolve it.

Do you have a dell server as well?