File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Oct 03, 2011 12:54 PM

I'm running win7 ent 64 bit and just upgraded my existing PGP desktop install to 10.2.0 MP1.

We only use it for PGP WDE, tied to a management server. Email Encryption is handled by the PGP servers in the DMZ.

The license type : Enterprise Whole Disk Only Edition with the following products enabled

PGP Zip

PGP Virtual Disk

PGP Whole Disk

So I'm looking at the logs and i see entries for "processing message" and it has then all the emails that have come in or out. Since I don't use the PGP Desktop email encryption, why would those get logged?

• 2.  RE: Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Oct 03, 2011 01:12 PM

The PGP Desktop software has a number of components - which ones you have available for use is determined by your license.  You have the PGP WDE and PGP Virtual Disk active because your WDE license covers them.  The PGP Zip is also active because it is included even in the Freeware level of functioning.  The Freeware level of functioning also includes the email proxy use for incoming (but not outgoing) email; so this requires that the email usage be enabled, which is what you are seeing.  I suspect you can turn off the email activity and resulting log entries by deselecting Secure Email on the Messaging tab of PGP Options.  If you want to, you can use this Knowledge Base Article to install PGP with unwanted components disabled. 

• 3.  RE: Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Oct 03, 2011 01:48 PM

Tom,

Since the messaging tab is missing from my PGP desktop install (since its being managed by a PGP Universal Server), I'm guessing I would need to make that change on the WDE policy?

• 4.  RE: Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Oct 03, 2011 02:51 PM

Since you are in a PGP Universal managed setting, you might not be able to do anything without asking the admin to allow it - just about any option can be controlled at the Universal Server level.  If the Messaging Module is not showing in PGP Desktop (which I believe you are indicating), you cannot do this, but if it is, you can help your situation with  this: Right click on the Messaging Service and select Disable Service.  If you have access to the PGP Options and its Messaging tab, do as I mention above. 

• 5.  RE: Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Oct 03, 2011 05:33 PM

Enterprise Whole Disk Only Edition doesn't include messaging in the license. But, the mail proxying drivers still get installed and everything. If you wish to change this behavior when installing the product use the following MSI switch to disable the messaging features from being installed:

msiexec /I pgpdesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_MAPI=0 PGP_INSTALL_LSP=0

Here is the KB article on MSI installation options for reference

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149282

• 6.  RE: Odd issue with 10.2.0 MP1

Posted Nov 27, 2011 09:54 AM

Were you able to resolve this?