Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jun 29, 2010 02:20 PM
    I have read several articles here and in the KnowlegeBase and I am missing a major part. I have run setup.exe /admin and created my customized .msp in an express share. When I make a Distribute Software task it tells me that it is not an valid Rapidinstall package. So then I tried to do it as a scripted task but didn't know if I could just type that in the script area or if I needed to create a .cmd file to run. Also what is the parameter for the .msp if I wanted to just run the installation manually?

I really have been trying to figure this out.

Thanks.

Jane

• 2.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jun 29, 2010 02:34 PM
    All you need to do is put the .msp file in the Updates folder under the Office 2007 folder. Then just create a job that runs setup.exe from the root of the Office 2007 folder.
    Ignore when DS tells you that it isn't a valid RapidInstall package cause it isn't a RapidInstall package.

• 3.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jun 29, 2010 03:51 PM
    You can either use Distribute Software or simply use Execute Command if the software is accessible to the target machine.  If you were in the folder, it would be setup.exe /adminfile Updates, assuming the .MSP is in the Updates folder, so just adjust for the full path to setup.exe.  Use quotes if spaces are part of folder names.

Keep in mind that if you run a setup against an .MSP where an installation has already occurred with an .MSP, you will receive an error visible to the user.

Does this help?

• 4.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jun 29, 2010 05:14 PM
    Putting the MSP into the Updates folder will cause it to be applied every time setup.exe is ran.  That can be a bad thing if you create unique MSPs which contain custom settings you only want applied during certain installs.

For example, if you don't always want OneNote installed you would create a "NoOneNote.MSP" with that app excluded.  Keeping that MSP outside of the Updates folder allows you the choice on when that gets applied.

As previously mentioned you can just put the following into a Run Script task. (In the Run this script: text box....)
    "<Path to setup.exe>" /adminfile "<Path to your .MSP>"

• 5.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jun 30, 2010 10:16 AM
    We have custom config.xml files for Office installs stored in a separate folder.

For the package, we specify the setup.exe file (which will claim it's an unknown package type since it's not a RapidInstall exe and perfectly normal) then in the "additional command-line switches" section we have the following: /config \\path\to\xmlfiles\config.xml

More details on config.xml: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195(office.12).aspx

• 6.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jul 02, 2010 05:15 PM
    Thanks so much. I will take a look at all those ideas.

jane

• 7.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jul 02, 2010 05:18 PM

So does that mean I could have a Run Script package to install an .msi?

Something like :

msiexec /i \\servername\softwaremsi/reader93jf/acroread.msi /t \\servername\softwaremsi/reader93jf/jcpl.mst

• 8.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jul 05, 2010 11:20 AM
    Your example is strange.  Why have you started talking about adobe installer and using mst files?

The fix for Office would be as stated by "gps4444" above.

• 9.  RE: Office 2007 installation using DS 6.9

Posted Jul 06, 2010 10:17 AM

Yes, you can use Run Script to execute an .msi with a transform from a UNC path, network drive, or local hard drive.  Typically, the Office install is not an .msi, however.