Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Office 2007 SP2

• 1.  Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 09:35 AM
    Has anyone else noticed an issue where touching the files that are extracted from Office 2007 SP2 patch (while auto-protect is enabled) causes explorer to hang?  It seems to be similar to the issue when touching SEP's Setup.exe on a network drive.  This is only happening on one machine but we want to be sure it won't happen on others.  Let me know if anyone else has seen this.  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 10:01 AM
    This is a security measure of Microsoft.
    Copy it to the client and then install it solves the problem.

• 3.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 10:02 AM
    What version of SEP are you running?

In the release notes of MR4 MP1a we have following fix

"Opening Microsoft Word 2007 "docx" files on Windows Vista takes longer than on Windows XP.
    Fix ID: 1399868
    Symptom: Noticeable delays occur when trying to open Microsoft Word 2007 "docx" files on Windows Vista.
    Solution: Fixed with an update to the Auto-Protect component.
    "

It might help you to upgrade to Mr4 MP1a,if you are running an older version.

......Barkha

• 4.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 10:09 AM
    Thanks!  Erikw...I am copying it over to the client first.  It happens when it's on C:\, flash drive, seems like anywhere.  Barkha we are running MR4.  Like I said all of the machines are running MR4 but only one machine is having this symptom.  We've tried uninstalling and clean wiping...no difference.  We are testing it on a flash drive now because if we do it on the C:\ drive it needs a reboot to recover while pulling out the flash drive recovers from the hang.  Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 10:34 AM
    I have install Office sp2 on several machines and have not noticed this.  I had one machine where it looked like it had hung for a bit but then everything just suddenly took off.   I was attributing this to the fact that I had just imaged the machine at the time and alot happens then def updates, SMS client installs,  SMS hardware and software inventory etc. 

I have ran it from a network share and not seen this happen.  The machine that did seem to hang had it copied locally.  Is this happening to all your machines or just some?   If you think its Symantec have you tried either removing it temporarily (I have to do this all the time to prove to a vendor AV is not causing an issue that its them) or even just stopping all Symantec services.

• 6.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 11:06 AM
    We've only seen this happen on one machine so far but we just making sure it's not going to continue to happen.  Yes if I disable Auto-protect the issue goes away.

• 7.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 12:03 PM
    Just to be clear the files it has issues with are the .msp's.  This is the set of files after extracting the files from the initial patch via the command prompt.

• 8.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 01:06 PM
    This has been a problem with my laptop when working with files on a network mapped drive for months.  In my experience this isn't limited to vista, office sp2, or SEPM MR1 or MR2.

As with delifeath, if I disable auto-protect it usually goes away but not always.  The problem seems to occur less frequently with SEPM MR4 MP1, but it's still there every now and then.  I have tried to find the steps to trigger this problem but I haven't been able to as of yet.

Saving to our desktop and then uploading it to the server isn't really a satisfactory workaround.  This can create problems if two users are making changes to the same document (stupid I know, but it happens).

Edit:  Erik, can you provide any details about this microsoft security measure or are you talking about the Vista application control?

• 9.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 01, 2009 04:09 PM
    Hmm that is strange it only happens on one client. I don't know if you said yet or not, but it would be helpful to know if you are running XP or Vista. Also just to make sure we all completely understand your issue, does your client hang only when you touch SEP's Setup.exe on a network drive or locally as well?
    Cheers,
    Grant

• 10.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 04, 2009 08:27 AM
    It happens when you touch the individual files that are extracted from the Office 2007 SP2 exe.  It has nothing to do with touching SEP's Setup.exe..I was just saying it seemed similar to that situation.  Ex. going to the command prompt and manually extracting the SP.  Its only been happening on this one machine but so far we haven't tested it on very many machines.  This machine is XP SP3.  Thanks for any help.

• 11.  RE: Office 2007 SP2

Posted May 04, 2009 09:43 AM
    I can confirm that it happens when I touch SEP's setup.exe on a network drive.  I ended up not packaging it as a single exe file and things worked much better.  However, the issue with office documents still occurs intermittently.