Option/Add-on/License mess ?? Help!!
I just inherited a backup and restore project from another network team and I’m trying to sort out the Backup Exec products that were purchased and was hoping someone might be able to help me identify which of these needs to be installed together and separately.
Obviously the main Backup Exec software goes on one server and then the SQL agent can be installed by itself on another to backup the SQL system. However, we also have Windows System agents and then System Recovery and Active Directory options.
So my questions would be:
- If I install System Recovery on a server, does it still need an Agent installed?
- If I install Active Directory on the BDC, does it also need an Agent installed?
- Will the SQL agent backup the entire server its installed on or will it need an Agent installed on it along with the SQL option?
- Will the main Backup Exec program backup the server its installed on without any additional Agents?
- We have one Desktop that needs backed up, will the main Backup Exec software backup one desktop across the network or will that desktop PC need an agent as well ?
Any help with these would be greatly appreciated and go a long way towards helping me getting a handle on this orphaned project I was stuck with. Thank you!!