Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Optiplex 7010 and Wake on Lan

Created: 13 Feb 2013 • Updated: 14 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello

I am having issues with some new OptiPlex 7010. I have set them up to accept WOL instructions but Ghost just times out.

Has anyone else had this issue.

Optiplex - Bios A12, running Win 7 32bit

Ghost - 11.5.1.226

Thanks

Aidan

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

Do you have any other machines on the same LAN segment that accept WOL packets successfully?

There is very little information in your posting about your environment, or whether you are aware that WOL packets are non routable so need "repeaters" at the subnet level.  

I used to test WOL using a freeware utility on a standalone machine that would send out WOL packets, as this would quickly establish whether the target machine had a working WOL system, but that was many years ago and I don't have any links to hand. No doubt google would throw something up.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Aidan Davies's picture

Hello, thanks for the reply.

All other machines in the environment work (older Optiplex and latitude and new latitude e5530) all work and have been for years.

I've just downloaded a WOL program to test.

EdT's picture

I would tend to blame the Dell bios, as they are not the best at getting things working properly.

It could also be a power supply issue, as the WOL packet generally causes a pulse to be sent to the PSU to switch it on, and if this pulse is being ignored by the PSU then that would also cause the problems you see. Do you have another of these machines to test on?

Let us know how you get on.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Aidan Davies's picture

I've solved this now.

I noticed the NIC lights were not showing while the PC was off. I found a setting in the BIOS under Power management. Go into Deep Sleep Control and disable it.

THanks for your help.

SOLUTION