Oracle Data Guard over VCS 6.0
It's being almost a month testing and digging on the VCS documentation regarding "Data Guard and Oracle agents supported by Veritas".
The first I can say, documentation is incomplete, confusing and it assumes many things which is a REAL PAIN for a newbie.
Anyhow, after weeks of issues and spending hours trying to understand who the whole thing works together, I still have many questions.
- 2 Linux RH6 physical nodes
- Oracle 126.96.36.199 and Data Guard configured. This is all SINGLE INSTANCE.
- NO SHARED storage!
I read the full documentation regarding Oracle Data Guard Agents for Veritas which was pretty much a real challenge.
Questions I have:
- Why Netlsnr agent shuts down my listener? Switchover fails because of that. I had to remove the Netlsnr resource and monitor.
- How can I perform a smooth switchover from VCS using OraDG and OraDGBroker agents? It's pretty amazing why this information is not provided on the document.
- Is it there any other complete documentation regarding OraDG and OraDGBroker operation? It says "agent supports this or that" but it wont tells you the details "how" or "how to make sure this or that happens", or exactly "when". It's really vague.
There is an example of what "vague" means. This is a portion of the document:
Note: For activateStandby, deactivateStandby, flashbackRecover, SnapshotOn, and SnapshotOff action functions, you must increase the values of the ActionTimeout and MonitorInterval attributes for OraDG and OraDGSnap types before running.
To "increase" them. Right. How much??? I found some values on another document but not sure why I have to do this or how to confirm the values are good. There are many other examples like this which makes VCS and Oracle implementation a pain.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Ask me for any information and I'll provide it.