File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  OSX 10.8.2 - PGP Desktop ver. 10.3 - Unable to decrypt

Posted Oct 29, 2012 02:04 PM

Hi,

I have recently updated my PGP Universal Server to support the newest version of Encryption desktop.  In previouos versions i would be able to decrypt a drive by right clicking on it in the PGP Desktop window.  After clicking the decrypt button i would then be prompted for my WDE Administrators Passphrase.  Since installing and testing this new version i am finding that the Decrypt button is greyed out.  If anyone has experienced this please assist as i need to figure out how to get the drive decrypted. 

Notes:

-  i am logged in as the enrolled user

-  i have adminitrative rights on the computer

-  i am the WDE adminstrator and server manager so i have all passwords required.

- osx version 10.8.2

- PGP Universal 3.2.1 (Build 4921)

I have updated my policy and still i am unable to decrypt.  any assistance would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: OSX 10.8.2 - PGP Desktop ver. 10.3 - Unable to decrypt

Posted Oct 29, 2012 02:51 PM

Update:  found that now the user account which is enrolled to the system requires the can decrypt setting in order to decrypt the drives.  As an administrator that means that in order to decyrpt a hard drive you have to either log in with another account and enroll yourself, move the current user to a policy group which has the ability to decrypt or pull the hard drive out and connect it to another machine for decryption (1- this will not work in this case as the machine is a macbook air.)

• 3.  RE: OSX 10.8.2 - PGP Desktop ver. 10.3 - Unable to decrypt

Posted Oct 31, 2012 12:43 PM

You are correct if the enrolled user does not have the right policies they will not be able to decrypt.  You can add your own user to the machine, that will then enable you to be able to decrypt, assuming your username has the appropriate permissions

• 4.  RE: OSX 10.8.2 - PGP Desktop ver. 10.3 - Unable to decrypt

Posted Oct 31, 2012 12:57 PM

that is not a viable solution.  if we have to add our accounts to the PGP desktop then that will cause our accounts to have large numbers of authorized devices attached to it.  Being that there is no way currently to remove a authorized user through the PGP universal server this could get messy very quickly.

The ability to decrypt with a WDE administrator passphrase worked before this new release for OSX 10.8.2.  I would like to see that put back.

Geuss i need to open a call with symantec again just to wait and wait and wait for an answer then wait and wait for a bug fix.

• 5.  RE: OSX 10.8.2 - PGP Desktop ver. 10.3 - Unable to decrypt

Posted Mar 14, 2013 07:34 PM

Did you ever find a solution to this problem jaskel?