Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  OSX w/Parallels MSDOS Preboot: Error 255 Unable to Bind

Posted Dec 02, 2011 01:07 PM

I have been placed in charge of getting our Graphics & Printing staff a VM of our District Image of XP so they can use their ticketing software without losing their MACs. Below is what we are currently using for imaging and the issues we've found.

Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 Build 437
    MSDos /w UNDI drivers PreBoot (receives my described problem below)
    WinPE (cannot get passed Starting DHCP services)

I figure I would start with our MSDOS preboot issue first since that is what is needed to get working for our next step in the image process.

G&P department has purchased and loaded the software Parallels and I was able to get a base VM created using bridge networking and NIC set to the first boot option. I can boot up and receive an IP during PXE which shows a PXE UNDI 2.1 driver and I press F8 to then enter our Test MSDOS/ Test WinPE preboots so that I can see if the VM will even boot up before we try to push our image.

Upon loading into MSDOS preboot I receive the following;

MS-DOS LAN Manager v2.1 Netbind
    Unsupported driver type, supported types are;
      Ethernet DIX (bluebook)
      Ethernet 802.3/802.2 SNAP
      Token Ring 802.5/802.2 SNAP

Error: 255 Unable to bind.

Packet driver has not been loaded!!
    Change Computer Name to F3E10C5533AB

Initializing TCP/IP via DHCP...
      Unloadable TCP 1.0 not loaded

NET0016: TCP access failure by Tiny RFC.
      Tiny RFC 1.0 not loaded.

I'm not a big MAC user but I thought to treat this as a new machine in our environment and to try and download NIC drivers. The network card the MACs have show the following information;

Type:    Ethernet Controller
      Bus:    PCI
      Vendor ID:    0x8086
      Device ID:    0x1096
      Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x8086
      Subsystem ID:    0x3499
      Revision ID:    0x0001
      Link Width:    x4
      BSD name:    en0
      Kext name:    AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext
      Location:    /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext
      Version:    2.1.3b1

I've looked this up to the point of IntelPRO series and from looking at our WinPE environment it already shows the ven8086 dev1096 listed as a provided driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions as to how I can get this VM to PXE Boot into MSDos using UNDI along with how can I get a compatible WinPE driver to then load into that PreBoot?

Here's some additional information about our Imaging Process;

We boot into MSDOS Preboot to run a quick script to validate the computer product name from a supported product list. We do this incase the machine is unknown and hasn't been tested with our image it will quickly error out rather than download WinPE only to not work.

If the check comes back fine then we boot into WinPE and push down our image, driver injection, etc.

• 2.  RE: OSX w/Parallels MSDOS Preboot: Error 255 Unable to Bind

Posted Dec 02, 2011 02:07 PM

And check what the OS thinks the NIC is, although it should still work with the UNDI driver. Does it definitely load the UNDI driver after you press F8 and select your MS-DOS boot option?

• 3.  RE: OSX w/Parallels MSDOS Preboot: Error 255 Unable to Bind

Posted Dec 02, 2011 02:20 PM

They did have a version of WinXP loaded and able to ping district devices, however, it was loaded by their "MAC guy" which isn't using our Microsoft volume license key or on our domain to actually access the servers required for their software. So at some point they had a running XP with a network connection.

How would I verify what driver the Automation is trying to use after selecting to boot into the MSDos PreBoot Automation? The output prior to the error is scrolled by so fast it's hard to distinguish what it all states.

• 4.  RE: OSX w/Parallels MSDOS Preboot: Error 255 Unable to Bind

Posted Dec 14, 2011 06:17 PM

You can play it back slowly then and see what it's loading.