Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 01:05 PM

Any e-mails wth inline images attached are PAINFULLY SLOW to open with SEP 12 and Outlook Auto-Protection turned on.
    If I disable auto-Protect,  the e-mails open almost instantly.
    I've been trying to track this down for several weeks now, and here is what I have discovered.
    The Client Computers are Windows XP pro SP3 32bit  and Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I noticed that a folder in the temp is created called VPMECTMP and a copy of each inline image is stored in that folder.

I tried to open a 835K e-mail with inline photos. It took Over 5 minutes for the E-mail to open.
    with auto-protec off, it is instant..
    Here you can see the Time that the First Image was created 12:43 pm
    and the Time that Last Image was created 12:49 pm
    The E-mail does not display untill the Last Image has been created in this folder.

I find this performance totally unacceptable and require a Solution to this problem.

• 2.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 29, 2010 06:55 PM

For the Email scanner, do you have the Outlook plugin alone installed, or Outlook as well as the Internet/POP3 plugin?

Which previous antivirus product was installed on this system (or these systems) before?

sandra

• 3.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 03:18 PM

I guess I need to know how to check which plugins are installed.
    We Installed the SEP Software on the Server, exported the client install packages to a shared folder, and then Downloaded the Client Install packages and ran them on each client.

I don't remember there being any options as to which E-mail Plugins to install?

For the Windows 7 box, this was the Only Anti-Virus, there wasn't any previous product.

For the Windows XP boxes, it was Symantec Coporate Edition for Small Business V 7.6

This was First Uninstalled using CleanWipe_11.0.5002.333

The Windows 7 box is the one Most affected. With Auto Protect turned on, It easily takes 2 to 10 minutes to open an E-mail that has images as attachemts.

Our Internet connection is a T1 at 1.54mips

I did monitor what is going on with Systeminternal Process monitor.

It looks like the Attachments are being routed out to an IP address while all this waiting is taking place.

• 4.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 03:36 PM

Check if you have outlook plugin ..if yes then remove it

• In Microsoft Office 2003, the Add-in Manager can be found in:
      • ToolsOptions... select the Other tab then Advanced Options... Then Add-In Manager...

• In Outlook 2007 the Add-ins is located in the Trust Center:
      • ToolsTrust Center..., then select the Add-in on the left side.

Then check in the drop down box at the bottom called "Manage". Go through all 3 choices, Com add-ins, Exchange client add-ins and Disable add-ins.

• 5.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 03:50 PM

Are you running the latest service pack on your 2003 Outlook?

• 6.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 03:51 PM

This document may be of help.  It doesn't exactly describe what you're experiencing, but it does demonstrate how to see (and uninstall) the installed email scanner components.  Unfortunately I don't have access currently to an installation of SEP Small Business 12 but I would be surprised if it appeared significantly different than this:

Cannot open attachments in Outlook when using the Outlook and POP3 Email tools
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH106382

When you say you're disabling Auto-Protect, are you talking about the Outlook scanner's Auto-Protect?

sandra

• 7.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 03:52 PM

I'll check for the plugin's  But doesn't Removing the Plugin, then Disable the E-mail Virus protection?

• 8.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 04:00 PM
      |   view attached

Sandra,

In the SEP control Panel, I change Settings, and can un-check the Outlook Auto Protection.

see attached

• 9.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 04:06 PM
      |   view attached

I checked the SEP setup to see which Scanner is installed.

Only the Outlook E-mail Scanner is Installed.

• 10.  RE: Outlook 2003 with SEP 12 Painfully SLOW

Posted Sep 30, 2010 05:31 PM

Sorry I wasn't clearer.  I meant that if Outlook and POP3 were both installed it might cause issues and you could uninstall POP3, but it doesn't appear that that's even an option for you.  (See my previous comment about not having direct access currently to that version of the product.)

Thanks for the Auto-Protect clarification.  Which version of Outlook are you using?  [Edit: sorry, you did say 2003.]  Do you see any corresponding messages in the Windows Event Viewer that might shed some light on this behaviour? 

The IP address you're seeing things routed out to, is that an internal or external IP address?

I'll take a second look through our documentation.  I just couldn't previously find anything that describes what you're seeing, pertaining strictly to SEP Small Business 12.

sandra