Desktop Email Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

• 1.  Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Feb 28, 2013 11:42 AM

My outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically, I am using Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3 and Windows 7 64 SP1.

Also when I try to send an encrypt mail to myself or anybody else it goes as a regular mail, even when I use [PGP] in the subject line or if I click on the sign and encrypt buttons. 

When I try to decrypt using the clipboard it works fine, when trying to use the PGP viewer it does not work either message error "PGP Viewer failed to decode the specified data. Error: No PGP Content" 

I already tried to reinstall the software but no luck. 

I am still using the trial full unlocked version, still deciding if we will buy it. 

Logs don't show much, today I received encrypted test mails and send encrypted test mails and the log does not show much. 

Logs from today:

09:29:39     ----- Encryption Desktop started -----
    09:29:39     Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)
    09:29:39     Today's date is Thursday, February 28, 2013
    09:29:42 PGP Info Setting logging level to: 0xF3F
    09:29:42 Email Info Email proxying is enabled and active
    09:29:45 PGP Info Initiating daily maintenance procedures
    09:47:57     ----- Encryption Desktop stopped -----
    09:48:05     ----- Encryption Desktop started -----
    09:48:05     Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)
    09:48:05     Today's date is Thursday, February 28, 2013
    09:48:05 PGP Info Setting logging level to: 0xF3F
    09:48:05 Email Info Email proxying is enabled and active
    09:48:08 PGP Info Initiating daily maintenance procedures
    10:25:56     ----- Encryption Desktop stopped -----
    10:33:59     ----- Encryption Desktop started -----
    10:33:59     Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)
    10:33:59     Today's date is Thursday, February 28, 2013
    10:34:00 PGP Info Setting logging level to: 0xF3F
    10:34:00 Email Info Email proxying is enabled and active
    10:34:03 PGP Info Initiating daily maintenance procedures
    10:40:01     ----- Encryption Desktop started -----
    10:40:01     Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)
    10:40:01     Today's date is Thursday, February 28, 2013
    10:40:03 PGP Info Setting logging level to: 0xF3F
    10:40:03 Email Info Email proxying is enabled and active
    10:40:07 PGP Info Initiating daily maintenance procedures

• 2.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Feb 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Please see this Knowledge Base Article.  Also, make sure that nothing else, such as AV, anti-spam, etc. is proxying your email.

• 3.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 01, 2013 09:46 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your help, I verified all the points described in the Article that you sent but so far no luck.

My Outlook connects to our Exchange using HTTP to an address like "https://webmail-na.xxxxxx.xxx", also the Proxy authentication settings in Outlook is set to NTLM Authentication, these settings are all pushed automatically by policy to Outlook. 

We also use Mc.... Virus Scan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise, but the On-Delivery Email Scanner is disabled. 

Another thing that I noticed was that when I deleted the Messaging Service from the Symantec Encryption Desktop it did not regenerate it back automatically, so I had to recreate it by hand.  

When recreating the messaging service I set the server settings on Symantec Encryption Desktop as “MAPI/Exchange”, also tried with “Internet Mail” and the Incoming Mail server and Outgoing mail server to point to webmail-na.xxxxxx.xxx, but no luck.

I already had Symantec Encryption Desktop reinstalled two times and no luck so far. 

Is important to mention that my manager is also trying the trial version of the Symantec Encryption Desktop in his computer with similar installation and settings and for him works just fine, his computer uses the same AntiVirus, same OS and same Outllok 2010. If we need I can verify some settings in his computer.

I also tried to open an encrypted mail from my manager laptop without being connect to network using just the cached mail in Outlook and it worked fine, so there was not connection to Exchange at that time. 

So in my laptop I just can decrypt mail using the clipboard option, it seems like Symantec Encryption Desktop can't communicate with my Outlook.  

Thanks a lot. 

• 4.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 01, 2013 09:59 AM

On the Messaging tab of SED Options, please make sure Secure Email and Discover New Accounts are both enabled.

• 5.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 01, 2013 10:11 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Tom,

Both are enabled, see screenshot attached.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 05, 2013 10:26 AM

Do you have any more sugestions? Otherwise we will have to look to other solutions,

Any help is greatly apreciated,

Joao Camara

• 7.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 05, 2013 11:26 AM

Please reread the SED 10.3 Release Notes to see if you have any known conflicts in your system and/or any settings that need to be changed.

Do you have the public keys of the inviduals you are attempting to encrypt to?  Are they showing as Valid in All Keys?

The thing I find puzzling in your quoted log entries, is that Encryption Desktop is running for only short period of times before stopping and restarting.

• 8.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 05, 2013 12:27 PM

Hi Tom,

Just read the SED 10.3 Release Notes and everything seems to be acceptable with my "computer/softwares",

I do have the public keys of the people that I am trying to encrypt to and they are showing as Valid in all keys.

Today I tried to send an encrypted email to myself at 12:10 as you can see in the next log, using the [PGP] in the subject and it did not work, when I sent the message I did not see that SED pop up window that shows that the mail is being encrypted, the same thing is happening and I receive an encrypted mail, I don’t see the SED pop up window showing that the email is being decrypted:   

Today’s log (today we have an error in the log):

00:44:27 PGP        Info       Initiating daily maintenance procedures

00:44:27                        ----- Encryption Desktop continuing -----

00:44:27                        Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)

00:44:27                        Today's date is Tuesday, March 05, 2013

00:45:07 PGP        Info       Keyserver synchronization: updating key 'Lu… Cor… <lcor…@op…>' (0xB7BC450E)

11:56:04                        ----- Encryption Desktop stopped -----

12:05:50                        ----- Encryption Desktop started -----

12:05:50                        Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 8741) (8741)

12:05:50                        Today's date is Tuesday, March 05, 2013

12:05:52 PGP        Info       Setting logging level to: 0xF3F

12:05:52 Email      Info       Email proxying is enabled and active

12:05:55 PGP        Info       Initiating daily maintenance procedures

12:10:37 Email      Error      Cannot proxy process 5708 due to insufficient privileges.  Process may be a service.

12:10:46 Email  Error  Cannot proxy process 5188 due to insufficient privileges.  Process may be a service.

Thanks a lot.

• 9.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 05, 2013 01:13 PM

Please consider these Knowledge Base Articles:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180768
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161040
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149945

• 10.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 06, 2013 10:00 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately these articles didn’t help me, actions taken:

1. Disabled the UAC and tried to use SED sending an encrypted message to myself, did not work;
    2.  With UAC disabled, uninstalled and reinstalled SED, added the keys back to the PGP keys and set it up, had to add the PGP messaging servicing by hand, tried again to use SED sending an encrypted message to myself using the sign and encrypt buttons, adding “[PGP]” to the subject line and setting the sensitivity of the message as “confidential” but it did not work;
    3. With UAC disabled, uninstalled SED, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2010, reinstalled SED,  had to add the PGP messaging servicing by hand, added the keys back to the PGP keys and set it up, tried again to use SED sending an encrypted message to myself using the sign and encrypt buttons, adding “[PGP]” to the subject line and setting the sensitivity of the message as “confidential” but it did not work;
    4. With UAC disabled, uninstalled SED, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2010, reinstalled SED,  had to add the PGP messaging servicing by hand, added the keys back to the PGP keys and set it up, tried again to use SED sending an encrypted message to myself using the sign and encrypt buttons, adding “[PGP]” to the subject line and setting the sensitivity of the message as “confidential” but it did not work;
    5. With UAC disabled, uninstalled SED, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2007, reinstalled SED,  had to add the PGP messaging servicing by hand, added the keys back to the PGP keys and set it up, tried again to use SED sending an encrypted message to myself using the sign and encrypt buttons, adding “[PGP]” to the subject line and setting the sensitivity of the message as “confidential” but it did not work;

Please also find attached the verbose log of SED,

Thanks a lot,

Attachment(s)

txt
    SED Verbose log.txt   22 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Mar 06, 2013 04:43 PM

I was also able to uninstall all of my Anti-Virus solution and then with the UAC still disabled uninstall and reinstall SED and still the same, it does not work.   

• 12.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Apr 04, 2013 01:42 PM

Hi Joao,

not sure if you have 32 or 64 Bit Office 2010 (not OS) but when you have 32 Bit Office (the usual)

please check the following Reg Key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
    "AppInit_DLLs"="PGPmapih.dll"

Are these Keys diffrent ?

• 13.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Apr 04, 2013 02:20 PM

Hi Frank,

I am using MS Office 32 and my keys are the same as you have indicated.

Thanks,

Joao Camara

• 14.  RE: Outlook 2010 won't decrypt mail automatically - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Apr 30, 2013 12:32 AM

I noticed this part

My Outlook connects to our Exchange using HTTP to an address like "https://webmail-na.xxxxxx.xxx", also the Proxy authentication settings in Outlook is set to NTLM Authentication, these settings are all pushed automatically by policy to Outlook.

Is this a hosted exchange server on the internet then? We don't currently have support for a cloud hosted Exchange service such as Office 365 yet. We are working to get that support in Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.1 for Windows.

Also, can you use Process Explorer to look at the Outlook.exe process and view threads to see if PGPmapih.dll is in the list? 

I would also suggest trying to disable cached exchange mode in Outlook Account Settings.

One last thing to try: Have you possibly tried uninstalling all your McAfee Security software to see if that makes any difference?  FYI: We have seen some instances where it requires mutiple reboots for McAfee to uinstall completely, so if you attempt this it might be better to try a fresh install of Windows or multiple reboots to see if that helps.